South Yorkshire sex offender dies after boozy session ends in chip pan blaze

Hurley Croft, Brampton.Hurley Croft, Brampton.
Hurley Croft, Brampton.
A convicted sex offender died after sparking a chip pan blaze at his home following a boozy night out.

Pensioner Clifford Bond had been out drinking for several hours when he returned home and put the cooker on before falling asleep.

His flat filled with smoke and although he was rescued by firefighters, he died in hospital several days later from the effects of smoke inhalation.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

An inquest at Doncaster Coroners’ Court heard how the 74-year-old, of Hurley Croft, Brmapton Bierlow, was on a lifelong licence release from prison for sex offences.

Pc Sarah Nettleship, of South Yorkshire Police’s public protection unit, said in a statement read out in court that Bond was on the sex offenders’ register for convictions of sexual and indecent assault dating back to 20001 and 2007.

In another statement, Bond’s daughter Tracy said she was aware her father had been investigated by police but added he was estranged from family members. She described him as a “heavy drinker” and said: “We were not close and I have not had contact with him for some time.”

The inquest heard how Bond went out drinking with two friends around Wombwell from the early afternoon on Thursday, October 22, last year. They ended up in Locky’s Bar and an intoxicated Bond was helped out of the bar and into a taxi. The court heard that he contacted care provider Rothercare in the early hours of the morning on Friday, October 23, to say that his home was filled with smoke.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Three fire crews from Dearne Valley and Cudworth fire stations attended and helped Bond out of the property and into an ambulance.

In a statement, firefighter Matthew Walker said the chip pan had been left on and had emanated smoke but not caused fire damage. Bond was laid in bed when firefighters arrived.

Bond spent several days receiving treatment in Rotherham District General Hospital before deteriorating and he died on Wednesday, October 28.

Dr Gerry Lynch gave the cause of death as multiple organ failure caused by a mixture of smoke inhalation, pneumonia and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Assistant coroner Mark Beresford recorded a conclusion of accidental death.

Following the case, South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue issued a warning about the dangers of leaving cooking unattended.

They urged memebrs of the public to ensure:-

*Oven gloves, tea towels, cardboard and electric leads are well away from the hob

*Ovens and grill pans should be free from grease and crumbs, as these can easily catch fire

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

*Please don’t leave cooking unattended and never use chip pans or pans filled with hot oil.

A spokesperson for the brigade said: “South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said this is a sad reminder of the dangers of leaving cooking unattended.

“People are reminded to avoid using chip pans or pans filled with hot oil as the consequences can be devastating.”