Darren Moore joins Doncaster Rovers squad on furlough

Manager Darren Moore has joined the rest of his coaching staff and the Doncaster Rovers playing squad on furlough, the Free Press understands.

By Liam Hoden
Wednesday, 15th April 2020, 8:00 am
Darren Moore
Darren Moore

The club announced last week that the players and staff from across the Club Doncaster organisation were to be furloughed under the government’s job retention scheme, helping companies through the coronavirus pandemic.

Moore and Rovers’ talent identification manager Adam Henshall were initially not among those to be furloughed.

However, both are part of a second and final wave of staff asked this week to cease working until further notice.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Only staff essential to the current operation of the business remain in work such as chief executive Gavin Baldwin, a skeleton operational workforce including groundstaff and some members of the Club Doncaster Foundation.

In effect, the organisation has been placed into hibernation until it can begin working towards a return to competitive action.

The EFL last week wrote to clubs to detail a plan to complete the remainder of the 2019/20 season in a 56 day period, which would also include the play-offs.

The organising body however informed clubs that players should not be called back to training any sooner than May 16 - a date which could be delayed even further, depending on the progress of the current crisis. A potential restart date of June 6 has been suggested but remains subject to government advice.

The furlough scheme sees the government cover 80 per cent of an individual’s wages up to £2,500 per month. Club Doncaster have pledged to pay the other 20 per cent ‘for as long as possible.’

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspaper.

Thank you

Nancy Fielder, editor