Tragic final moments of Sheffield woman killed in Manchester Arena bombing revealed

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
The tragic final moments of a Sheffield woman killed in the Manchester Arena bombing have been detailed at an inquiry into the horror which saw 22 people die.

Kelly Brewster, 32, from Arbourthorne, died when a suicide bomber detonated explosives at the end of an Ariana Grande concert at the venue in May 2017.

A public inquiry is under way in Manchester to determine the events of that fateful night.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Counsel to the inquiry, Paul Greaney QC, said the details would be “difficult to hear and difficult to deliver”, as he warned those watching it may be distressing.

Kelly Brewster from Sheffield was one of the 22 victims of the Manchester Arena bombing.Kelly Brewster from Sheffield was one of the 22 victims of the Manchester Arena bombing.
Kelly Brewster from Sheffield was one of the 22 victims of the Manchester Arena bombing.

Relatives of some of the victims wiped away tears in the hearing room at Manchester Magistrates’ Court, while other families watched proceedings from a nearby annexe.

Photographs of the 22 were displayed as Mr Greaney described their movements at the Ariana Grande concert on May 22 2017, where they were when Salman Abedi detonated his bomb in the City Room foyer, the extent of the medical treatment given to their injuries, and their cause of death.

Insurance claims assessor Kelly Brewster, 32, from Sheffield, had gone to the concert with her sister and another younger relative.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Her family were said to have “meant the world” to the devoted aunt who was planning to have a baby and buy a new house with her partner Ian Winslow, and had earlier in the evening texted him to say she loved him.

She and her relatives left their seats shortly after the last song and entered the City Room only seven seconds before the bomb detonated.

She was given first aid and CPR and was said to have appeared to have shown intermittent signs of life, but then became unresponsive and was pronounced dead at the scene with T-shirts used to cover her body.

A post-mortem examination found she died from head and abdominal injuries which would have rapidly rendered her unconscious. Her injuries were also said to be unsurvivable.

A total of 22 people died and hundreds others were injured in what was described at the opening of the inquiry into the incident as ‘the most devastating terrorist attack in the UK for many years’.

Related topics: