Doncaster bar keeps licence after man suffers 'life-threatening' injury during attack

A Doncaster bar where a man was brutally attacked and left in a ‘life-threatening condition’ has kept hold of its licence after promising to adhere to stricter conditions, new security measures and a staff overhaul.

Wednesday, 14th October 2020, 4:45 pm

South Yorkshire Police asked Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council to suspend the licence of the Pocket Sports Bar in Mexborough after a man was attacked by a group on September 13, which they did on September 17 pending a formal hearing this week.

The victim was taken to hospital, had to be incubated and required ‘pressure measures’ to their head.

Lawyers representing the bar said they had undergone ‘massive changes’ including a new ‘very experienced and established’ door team, investment in a state-of-the-art ID scanner and an overhaul of the premises to better comply with Covid-19 restrictions.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The Pocket Sports Bar, Bank Street, Mexborough. Picture: Marie Caley NDFP-29-09-20 Pocket 2-NMSY

Solicitor Michelle Hazlewood, representing the bar, said: “I’ve been impressed with their attitude going forward and the police are as well. They have embraced a willingness to change and improve.

“They already had plans to make changes but this has escalated the situation and they have grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and moved forward."

Documents seen by councillors show that on arrival at the scene, officers reported that door and bar staff on duty would ‘not provide statements’ in relation to what happened despite contacting police.

Reports also show an incident took place inside the premises and the two parties were separated but not removed from the bar.

The Pocket Sports Bar, Bank Street, Mexborough. Picture: Marie Caley NDFP-29-09-20 Pocket 4-NMSY

A previous incident where another man was attacked with a ‘bat or a large piece of wood’ was reported on August 29.

Management told licensing officers that ‘no one had been assaulted’ but instead was ‘taken inside the premises ‘for their own safety’

But a review of the CCTV showed a vehicle pulling up with one assailant getting out and hitting the person with the ‘large piece of wood/bat’ outside the bar in front of door staff.

Coun Iris Beech, chair of the sub-licensing committee, said: “The committee has noted the licence holder has taken extensive measures including a change of management structure and change in door staff.

“On that basis, we have decided to modify the conditions on the premises licence."

Thank you to all who support local journalism with a digital or print subscription to The Star. The events of 2020 mean trusted, local journalism is more reliant than ever on your support. We couldn't do it without you. Subscribe here www.thestar.co.uk/subscriptions so we can keep campaigning on your behalf. Stay safe.