Buses restored to Doncaster estate after Free Press reveals concerns over 'unnecessary' diversions

Transport bosses have restored the bus service to a Doncaster estate – after the Free Press revealed claims it had been diverted ‘unnecessarily’

Tuesday, 1st June 2021, 12:57 pm

The 221 has been diverted away from the Windhill estate in Mexborough for several weeks while roadworks were carried out on the estate to improve gas supples.

But we revealed on Friday that the buses had been stopped from using the route even though roads and not been closed and the actual routes remained officially open.

But after our story was published on Friday, Stagecoach has decided to restore the service to the estate.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The roadworks on the Windhill estate in Mexborough

They stated on social media: "Service 221. We are resuming our normal service at Coniston Road. We aplogise for any inconvenience this may have caused.”

Local councillors had said they have been inundated by complaints from residents on the Windhill estate in Mexborough after the 221 service was diverted while The route was diverted because transport officials say parked cars and cones were making the street too narrow.

It is understood there was a collision involving a bus and a car there earlier this month.

Mexborough Councillor Sean Gibbons said he had received complaints over the lack of buses. with the estate having been missing buses for around four weeks. The diversions were then extended for another two weeks.

He said that he felt buses had been taken away ‘unnecessarily’, but added: “We can all hopefully be rest assured that that this essential service is now finally back in function for good.”

He said: "We have predominantly elderly people in that part of the community who are struggling to get out for supplies and medication. Yes, they could get taxis but that is expensive when they could use the free bus pass to which they are entitled.

"A lot of people there don’t drive, and there is social isolation. They should have a decent, reliable bus.”

South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive said in a statement the roadworks between Clayfield View and Coniston Road, in Mexborough, didn’t require road closures and the bus routes remained open for the duration of the works. However, poorly parked vehicles and the cones used by the contractors had narrowed the road available around the works and near the junction and posed a safety risk for buses running in the area.

Stagecoach had therefore made the decision to divert service 221 on safety grounds, they said on Friday.

They said they recognised the importance of this service to local residents and had been working with Doncaster Council and operators to resolve the issue.

A Cadent spokesperson said: “We are currently carrying out essential maintenance work in the area.

“During this project we have worked closely with the local authority and any decisions about the suspension of bus services are made by the bus company.

“We hope that people understand this is essential work to upgrade your gas mains and keep energy flowing safely and reliably. We would urge anyone who has any questions to contact our customer service team.”

In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a subscription or buying a paper. We stand together. Liam Hoden, editor.