CCTV captures shocking attack on Doncaster waste collection worker after he told angry couple they couldn’t recycle old duvet

CCTV footage has captured the shocking moment a Doncaster couple attacked a waste collection worker after he told them they couldn’t recycle their old duvet.

By George Torr, Local Democracy Reporter
Monday, 25th April 2022, 12:14 pm

Laura Siddall, aged 31 and John Mohoney 36, from Askern, pleaded guilty to the assault which took place on Hilton Street on March 24, 2021. The pair were sentenced at Doncaster Magistrates’ Court last month.

SUEZ said waste workers rejected a recycling bin and explained to the couple that they couldn’t empty it because it had an old duvet stuffed inside.

Duvets are not one of the materials that can be recycled through the blue bin and should be taken to a household waste recycling centre (HWRC).

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The pair attacking the waste collection worker after being told they couldn't recycle their old duvet in their blue bin

The couple were then seen chasing the 62-year-old crew member down the road and attacked him.

The assault was captured on the collection vehicle’s CCTV which was used as evidence at the magistrates’ hearing.

PC Sam Egan-Wyer, of South Yorkshire Police, said: “This was a shocking assault on workers who were simply trying to do their job.

“I am pleased we were able to secure such a strong case which resulted in both defendants pleading guilty. I would hope that hours working in the community will help both of them to realise how valuable these workers are and encourage them to treat them with the respect they deserve in the future.

The pair attacking the waste collection worker after being told they couldn't recycle their old duvet in their blue bin

“We will always endeavour to do all we can to seek justice in cases like these and put offenders before the courts.”

Coun Mark Houlbrook, cabinet member for waste at Doncaster Council added the authority ‘absolutely deplores’ the actions and there is ‘no situation in which this behaviour should be accepted or tolerated’.

SUEZ’s regional director, John Wilkinson added assaults on their workers were ‘not uncommon’ but they were ‘shocked and sorry’ that a member of the crew had to endure such ‘horrific and unprovoked abuse’.

“SUEZ has a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to the abuse and harassment of our employees who are delivering an essential public service,” he said.

The pair attacking the waste collection worker after being told they couldn't recycle their old duvet in their blue bin

“We would like to thank South Yorkshire Police for their support in pursuing this incident.”

The couple received 40 hours unpaid work, an order to pay £50 compensation as well a victim surcharge of £95.

They were also ordered to pay £100 in costs to the Crown Prosecution Service.