Doncaster dog dies after being bitten by snake

A dog in Doncaster has died after being bitten by a venomous snake while on a walk.

Friday, 24th July 2020, 9:33 pm
Updated Friday, 24th July 2020, 9:34 pm

Susan Bailey, 66, from Intake said her nine-year-old German Shepherd had to be put down, two days after he was bitten by an adder, according to vets.

Beechwood Veterinary Hospital on Bawtry Road, examined Magnum on Sunday, July 19, the same day he was bitten while walking down a patch of grass on Shaftesbury Avenue.

Susan said he had ‘two puncture wounds’ on the side of his elbow.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

German Shepherd, Magnum died after he was allegedly bitten by an adder snake in Doncaster.

Vets shaved Magnum’s back leg, revealing his skin had turned dark purple.

The nine-year-old dog was also put on an IV drip, anti-venom treatment and strong pain relief to fight the infection.

Susan, a retired cleaner, and her husband Gerald were initially allowed to take Magnum home on Monday after he stayed at the vets overnight but the wound began oozing with blood.

Magnum was put to sleep on Tuesday, July 21 because the venom had contaminated his blood.

Magnum's leg started oozing with blood after she brought him home from the vets on Monday.

Susan said: "I was absolutely distraught.

"He's got a good five or six years left in him and it's just upset me and my husband knowing that we've lost him through carelessness."

The 66-year-old, who has paid £1,600 in vet bills has threatened to sue Doncaster Council for ‘not cutting the grass’ where her dog was bitten.

She added: "I want justice for him, it makes me feel sick and I'm upset.

Susan Bailey, 66, said she is distraught that Magnum had to be put down.

"I'm just fuming to lose a pet we loved so much.”

A Doncaster Council spokesperson said: “We offer our sympathies to the owners of Magnum in regards to this extremely rare and unfortunate incident.”

Adders are small, stocky snakes that is usually found in woodland and moorlands.

As the only venomous snakes in the UK, they can be dangerous, but in the majority of cases their bites are not fatal if treated promptly.

The nine-year-old dog's leg swelled and was dark purple in colour after vets shaved it.

Bites normally occur when a snake is stepped on or disturbed and the majority of bites in dogs occur between April and July.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspaper.

Thank you

Nancy Fielder, editor