Doncaster teacher died after struggling with alcohol and medication abuse

Former Hill House School teacher Sarah Jayne Ellward, of Vulcan Mews, Auckley, died on April 14 last year at the age of 51.

Tuesday, 11th January 2022, 4:05 pm
Updated Wednesday, 12th January 2022, 12:02 am

At an inquest at Doncaster Coroner's Court this week, it was determined her death was caused by a perforated ulcer in her intestine, which came after a background of chronic alcohol misuse.

Sarah had suffered a relapse in her alcohol addiction after losing her job at Hill House, where she had previously been subject of a disciplinary hearing after taking medication for debilitating back pain into school.

Speaking as a witness, Sarah's father John Gay said: “In 1999 she began working at Hill House School and was there for 21 years.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Sarah Jayne Ellward, of Vulcan Mews, Auckley, died on April 14 last year at the age of 51.

“She had the pain medication in school when there weren't any children there so she didn’t know she was doing anything wrong.

“But there was to be a gross misconduct hearing which brought on anxiety and depression.

“She expressed that she was very upset with the way they went about things.”

Mr Gay went on to say that Sarah and the school reached an agreement in which she handed in her notice and took a lower sum of redundancy pay than was expected prior to the medication incident.

“It was a tipping point for Sarah,” John said.

“She came home crying and was distraught.”

Read More

Read More
Andrew Gosden arrests: Two quizzed on suspicion of kidnap, human trafficking and...

A toxicology report showed that Sarah had 130ml per 100ml of ethanol present at the time of her death - which equates to one and a half times the driving limit.

Senior coroner Nicola Mundy told the court: “Sarah had a long, successful career as a teacher.

“She had a number of health issues which presented her challenges such as significant chronic pain.

“Her lower back pain was debilitating day to day.

“She took an excess amount of medication to remove that pain.

“The excess medication led to an accidental overdose but there is no evidence that it was not accidental.

“She had a reasonably long history with alcohol which stemmed from social drinking but this developed into excess drink.

“In my opinion it was a crutch that she relied upon.

“She made concerted efforts to overcome her alcohol issues and was supported by her family.

“Sarah engaged with the services and her family felt she was making progress.

“In 2021 the school at which she was employed announced that they would be making redundancies.

“Sarah was chosen to be made redundant which she appealed but accepted.”

Ms Mundy recorded a verdict that Sarah died from a perforated duodenal ulcer on a background of chronic alcohol misuse.

In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a subscription or buying a paper. We stand together. Liam Hoden, editor.