Notts police dog killed by police car whilst he was working

Officers have described the incident which killed the police dog as a 'tragic accident' after he was hit by a 4x4 police vehicle.

Thursday, 19th May 2016, 9:49 am
Updated Thursday, 19th May 2016, 10:56 am
Police dog Rebus died in the line of duty after ewbing struck bya police vehicle.

German Shepherd, Belgian Shepherd-cross Rebus was assisting in an authorised pursuit in the early hours of the morning after a failure to stop for police.

The four-year-old was sent after suspects on the Colwick Loop Road at around 3am on Wednesday, May 18. It was then he was struck by a 4x4 police vehicle.

Rebus was given emergency care at the scene but sadly died of his injuries. His handler was by his side.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Chief inspector Andy Hall, of the East Midlands Operational Support Service (EMOpSS), said: “This incident is being fully and actively reviewed, and we await the findings. I take the view at this time, however, that it appears to have been a tragic accident.

“I would like to acknowledge and commend the care given to Rebus in his time of need.

“Not only did an officer provide CPR at the scene, a number of members of the public offered their assistance. A valued police dog and a loyal companion, Rebus certainly would have known he was loved.

“Our colleague is devastated and the officer who was driving the vehicle is understandably distressed. They are being supported by their team and they in turn are being supported by their associates.

“Rebus was not only a fine police dog, he was a member of our policing family. His impeccable service was acknowledged at a memorial today in which DCC Sue Fish laid a wreath in his honour.”

Rebus joined Nottinghamshire Police as a pup in July 2012. In his four years’ service he has been responsible for the detaining of numerous suspects. Since the launch of EMOpSS in May last year he has attended 313 incidents.

Despite these sad events, three teenage boys were arrested on suspicion of theft. The two 15-year-olds and 17-year-old remain in police custody for questioning.