Local football: Denaby United extend lead at the top

Denaby United extended their lead at the top of County Senior Division One after coming out on top of a ten goal thriller 7-3 against Silkstone United.

Thursday, 31st March 2016, 2:30 pm

United stayed two clear at the top as Ainsley Finney and Steve Ellor had a day to remember, scoring four and three goals respectively, as United ran away with matters in the second half.

It wasn’t all plain sailing however, as Silkstone opened the scoring in the first half when Ryan Scott and keeper Ben Priestley had a mix up, leaving Wilshire to pounce and make it 1-0.

It took only four minutes after going behind for United to get level.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Wood headed the ball forward to Finney who gave to ball to Ellor who returned it back and his right footed shot found the inside of the right post to make it 1-1.

After 21 minutes a ball was played into the penalty area, and though it looked out of play for a goal kick no whistle was forthcoming, and Reynolds pulled the ball back inside for Duffy to fire home to regain the lead for the hosts.

United then drew level again when Noonan passed the ball out to Ellor down the left, and his cross into the penalty area was missed by everyone except Finney at the far post.

Finney completed a first half hat trick when Andy Wood won possession in midfield and provided the pass, and United had the lead for the first time.

United went 4-2 in front with a rather fortunate goal just after the hour mark when Finney was quickest to a loose pass and was able to tap into an empty net.

After 75 minutes Bull sent Finney clear down the right and as he entered the penalty area he was brought down with the referee awarding a penalty. Ellor stepped up to drive the ball home from the spot.

Ellor then rounded the goalkeeper before completing his hat trick from close range, either side of what was nothing more than a consolation Silkstone strike from Mellor.