MP calls for waste sites to re-open as fly-tipping increases

MP John Healey has urged the Government to issue revised guidance so councils can reopen household waste sites.

Wednesday, 29th April 2020, 10:35 am
Updated Wednesday, 29th April 2020, 11:01 am

The Wentworth and Dearne MP has responded to residents who have contacted him with concerns about the rise in fly-tipping since the dump sites closed.

Mr Healey urged Communities and Local Government Secretary Robert Jenrick to give clearer guidance to councils on how to safely reopen the recycling sites which have closed at the start of the lockdown.

Existing guidance says authorities ‘consider whether priority sites can be maintained with restricted access’.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Fly tipping

In a letter to Mr Jenrick, Mr Healey said: “This suggests some service for household waste sites should stay open, but the guidance is too weak to ensure councils do so and too vague to offer advice on how this can be done safely.

“The lack of clear-cut guidance has led to a patchy response from local authorities and caused a domino effect of closures.

“Local authirites like Rotherham Council want to keep sites open, but have been understandably concerned that when neighbouring authorities close their waste sites they are forced to follow suit to avoid their services being overrun by residents from other areas.”

Councils face the burden of enforcing fines and clearing up waste.

Mr Healey has also asked for the government to make sure councils have enough resources to do so.

Mr Healey has served as Labour MP for Wentworth and Dearne since 1997. He was appointed shadow Defence Secretary earlier this month in new Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer’s first shadow cabinet.