Defeat cannot dampen Doncaster Phoenix celebrations

North One East champions Doncaster Phoenix were denied a rousing finish when they were soundly beaten 43-10 by third-placed Alnwick at Castle Park.

Friday, 29th April 2016, 5:00 am
Doncaster Phoenix celebrate after collecting the North One East trophy. Photo: FSP Images

It followed their defeat at runners-up Morley a week earlier and, like in that match, Phoenix suffered a blow when full-back Dan Porter was carried off with a broken ankle after just ten minutes.

Bizarrely, it was an almost identical injury to the one suffered by Will Burden at Morley.

Phoenix went 10-0 behind to a converted try and penalty goal but then pulled back a try by No 8 Ryan Peacey which Jamie Lennard converted.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Alnwick then added a second try but Phoenix were only five points in arrears at half time after Lennard slotted over a penalty.

That was as close as Phoenix got as the visitors, clearly intent on proving a point, ran in four second half tries.

Second placed Morley, meanwhile, were denied a four-try bonus point but were comfortable 28-12 winners at Wheatley Hills.

Wheatley, playing against the wind in the first half, turned round 13-0 down.

But they came back strongly to score two tries to the visitors’ three, with most of Morley’s winning margin down to better goal kicking.

Paul Purnell scored both of Wheatley’s tries, one converted by full back Owen Gillvray.

Wheatley held their own in the scrums but Morley looked the more capable when they had the ball.

Wath on Dearne slipped to a 21-8 defeat at Old Grovians.

The visitors opened the scoring as a Richard Lazenby broke and offloaded to Adam West who crashed over in the corner.

But Grovians soon went ahead with a converted try and this led to a period of sustained pressure which led to a second try under the sticks.

Jack Whitlam tried to haul Wath back into the contest with a penalty but a further try from Grovians put the game to bed.