Vile stepdad and mum waited TWO hours before calling ambulance after toddler, 2, murder

South Yorkshire Police has issued a statement after a killer was found guilty of murdering a two-year-old child.

Tuesday, 10th November 2020, 3:01 pm

Martin Currie, aged 36, was found guilty of the murder of his partner’s son, Keigan O’Brien, who was said to have suffered head injuries so catastrophic they were akin to those suffered by the victims of fatal car crashes.

He denied murder but was convicted after a four-week trial.

He was also found guilty of child neglect.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Martin Currie and Sarah O'Brien

O’Brien was acquitted of murder but found guilty of allowing or permitting the death of a child and child neglect.

Emergency services were called to Keigan’s home in Adwick-Le-Street, Doncaster, after Keigan was found unconscious and not breathing in his bedroom while Currie was caring for him as O’Brien took her other children to school.

The tot could not be saved and died in hospital the following day.

In addition to a bleed on the brain, Keigan had a fractured arm sustained at around the same time as the catastrophic head injury which killed him.

In the weeks before he died, he suffered a fractured spine, fractured ribs and a previous brain bleed.

Detective Chief Inspector James Axe, of South Yorkshire Police, said: “I firstly would like to offer my condolences to Keigan’s family and those that loved him. The loss of a child is difficult, but the death of Keigan has been distressing for everyone.

“This trial has been incredibly hard for Keigan’s family and I would like to thank them for their support in assisting our investigation.

“During the trial, O’Brien and Currie have showed no remorse for the death of Keigan.

“O’Brien has denied having any knowledge of how Keigan sustained his injuries, with the exception of an incident where Keigan suffered a head injury and black eyes - O’Brien stated he fell down the stairs.

“Currie stated he didn’t know how Keigan came about his injuries but told the court how he heard O’Brien assaulting Keigan previously, but had not witnessed it.

“Currie admitted to finding Keigan on the morning of January 8 at around 9am, he thought Keigan was dead.

“Keigan did not receive medical assistance for nearly two hours when O’Brien finally called Yorkshire Ambulance Service at 10.57am.

“This gave the pair sufficient time to formulate a series of lies and devise a story which was an attempt to cover the true circumstances that had unfolded.

“The only two people responsible for Keigan’s death are O’Brien and Currie, two people who should have loved and cared for him. In fact they should have been the very people, who protected little Keigan above all else.

“While I am pleased both Currie and O’Brien have both been convicted for their parts in Keigan’s death, it will not bring him back. I hope his family can take closure from the fact that the trial has now concluded and inevitably both O’Brien and Currie will both face significant custodial sentences.”

Keigan’s biological father said: “Keigan was such a special little boy. He was lovable, playful, energetic and full of fun.

“He will always have a place in our hearts and will be missed terribly. He will never be forgotten and we are truly heartbroken.”