Doncaster's weekend revellers praised after 'incredible' small number of arrests as pubs re-opened

Four people were arrested for public disorder over the weekend – but police have praised the way Doncaster residents behaved as pubs re-opened for the first time since lockdown.

Tuesday, 20th April 2021, 5:00 pm

The only public order arrests in the town centre over the period from Friday evening to the end of Sunday came in two separate incidents, each seeing two people arrested for fighting one other.

Read More

Read More
15 photos that show just how busy Doncaster town centre has been over the weeken...

Police and council wardens carried out joint patrols, and were pleased with the way residents out for their first drinks at a pub for months conducted themselves.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Weekend drinkers were praised for their exemplary behaviour over the weekend

Chief Insp Jayne Forrest said: “We had no arrests on Friday night, four on Saturday and none on Sunday. That is incredible for a three day period after pubs have been shut for such a long time.

"We are pleased with the way people have conducted themselves. The people of Doncaster displayed their mettle, conducting themselves sensibly, showing willingness to queue and to book tables. People also took direction really well when advised over things like social distancing or masks, or standing and talking to people.

"We’ve noticed that the night time economy seems to have become the afternoon economy. People are coming out early, and many have gone by 10pm.”

She said she would encourage people to come out and use the town centre.

Pat Hagan, head of localities and town centre at Doncaster Council said his team had worked very closely with the police and would continue with joint patrols.

He said they wanted people to enjoy their experience of the town centre.

He said: “By and large, the response of the public has been excellent, and I would personally thank the public for the level of co-operation.”

He said council officials the police had been out and spoken to businesses before re-opening, and they had been able to respond to any issues. He added there had been no big problems over shops re-opening.

Ch Insp Forrest added: “Pat and myself have both been out on the patrols, and it was nice to see town bustling again, and it felt safe.”

The patrols will be reviewed after May 17, when more venues are expected to be able to open under the roadmap to easing restrictions.

In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a subscription or buying a paper. We stand together. Liam Hoden editor.