Doncaster stabbings: Pair formally identifed by police as Ryan Theobald and Janis Kozlovskis

A man and a teenager who died following a stabbing in Doncaster town centre yesterday have been formally named as Janis Kozlovskis and Ryan Theobald by police.

By Darren Burke
Sunday, 30th January 2022, 5:02 pm

Janis, aged 17, and Ryan, aged 20, both from Doncaster, were fatally stabbed during an altercation between a number of young men in Doncaster town centre just after 2.30am on Saturday.

Despite the best efforts of passing members of the public, police and paramedics, Ryan was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.

Police have now confirmed that Ryan was 20, rather than 21 as announced by officers yesterday.

Ryan Theobald and Janis Kozlovskis have formally been identified by police.

Janis was taken to hospital via ambulance but sadly later died from his injuries. A subsequent post mortem examination has established that both Janis and Ryan died from stab wounds.

A South Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “Today, they have been formally identified and their families are being supported by specially trained officers.

“They will not be making any statements through the police at this time and have asked that their privacy is respected during this difficult period for them.”

On Saturday morning, a 17-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of murder and has now been released on bail while investigations continue.

Yesterday, an 18-year-old man who received minor injuries during the incident was discharged from hospital and arrested for a serious public order offence related to the incident.

He has now been released without charge.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Oughton, leading the investigation, said: “I know that incidents like this can have a devastating impact on the wider community and I want to reassure you we are doing everything we can to bring those responsible to justice.

"The community who live, visit and work in the town centre will continue to see an increased police presence in the area as the murder investigation continues at pace.

"I would like to reassure people that we believe this to be an isolated incident with no risk to the wider community.

“I continue to urge anyone who has any information that could help the investigation to contact us.

"We are really keen to speak with anyone who may have witnessed or have footage of the altercation, which started in Silver Street and continued into High Street, ending outside the KFC.

"Initial CCTV enquiries show that there were a number of bystanders who saw the incident and we urge them to come forward and help us. If you are uncomfortable speaking to the police directly you can call Crimestoppers completely anonymously.”

A huge cordon was thrown up around the town centre yesterday morning, with High Street, Silver Street, Cleveland Street, Hall Gate and Scot Lane closed off to pedestrians for more than 18 hours while Sunny Bar, Market Place, Priory Place and Printing Officer Street were closed to drivers.

Information can be passed onto police by contacting 101 and quoting incident number 135 of 29 January, or you can give information anonymously to independent charity Crimestoppers via their website – – or by calling their UK contact centre on 0800 555 111.