Doncaster BMW driver tried to outrun cops in 101mph chase

A young Doncaster man who crashed his car after a high-speed police chase in icy conditions panicked because he thought he was over the drink-drive limit, a court heard.

Monday, 21st September 2020, 2:53 pm

Josh Broughton accelerated away when a marked police car signalled for him to stop on Beech Lane, Armthorpe, Doncaster, at 2am on March 8.

He reached a top speed of 101mph while driving his blue BMW, and hit 70mph through a housing estate, sometimes travelling on the wrong side of the road.

He lost control while trying to turn into Brecks Lane from Newhall Lane, at 60mph, and crashed into a field.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Josh Broughton lost his car while turning on to Brecks Lane, in Kirk Sandall.

"He tried to run but stopped when officers produced their Tasers," said prosecutor Amy Earnshaw.

"I totally understand I am in the wrong," he told officers after the 2.2 mile chase.

The court heard he had three friends in the car and he drank two pints of lager during the night out, but was under the limit when breathalysed.

Andrew Smith, mitigating, said Broughton, of previous good character, made "a flawed decision par excellence."

"This must be one of the most foolish reasons for ending up in the crown court,” he said. "He panicked because he thought he was over the limit and I venture to suggest he has learned his lesson. If he had stopped there would have been no problem at all."

Mr Smith said Broughton was “holding a responsible job down in difficult times” and the business would be impacted if he were to be jailed.

Broughton, 20, of Church Road, Barnby Dun, Doncaster, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and failing to stop, on August 25.

In Thursday, at Sheffield Crown Court, Recorder Keir Monteith QC said the offences were "very serious."

"The irony in this case is that you had done nothing wrong until you tried to outrun the police," he said. "There was total disregard to other road users. You're lucky that no one was seriously injured."

Broughton received eight months in prison, suspended for two years, and was ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work in the next 12 months.

He was banned from driving for 18 months and until he passes an extended driving re-test.

Read the latest cases from Sheffield Crown Court here.

Thank you to all who support local journalism with a digital or print subscription to The Star. The events of 2020 mean trusted, local journalism is more reliant than ever on your support. We couldn't do it without you. Subscribe here so we can keep campaigning on your behalf. Stay safe.