A South Yorkshire thug who assaulted two police officers had to be subdued with pepper sprays

A foul-mouthed thug had to be subdued by police with pepper sprays after he assaulted two officers.

Thursday, 8th April 2021, 2:13 pm
Updated Thursday, 8th April 2021, 2:59 pm

Sheffield Crown Court heard on April 7 how Gareth Cregg, aged 39, of Bentley Road, near Bentley Rise, Doncaster, became aggressive towards two police officers after they had been called out to a hotel following a report of a disturbance.

Aaron Dinnes, prosecuting, said: “On March 7, 2021, both officers attended Bentley Road, Doncaster, to reports of a male banging on doors and making various threats.

"Upon arrival, the defendant grew aggressive towards the officers and continued to make said threats.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Sheffield Crown Court has heard how a South Yorkshire thug who assaulted two police officers has been put behind bars.

Mr Dinnes added that initially Cregg calmed down but then became aggressive towards one of the officers, swearing and insulting him and as an attempt was made to arrest the defendant for a breach of the peace he attacked this officer.

Cregg tried to punch the officer before getting him into a headlock and pulling him to the floor placing so much pressure on his neck that the officer feared for his life, according to Mr Dinnes.

Mr Dinnes added that as the other officer tried to grab the defendant she was pushed away and both officers had to deploy pepper sprays before Cregg could be detained.

Cregg, who has previous convictions including assaults, pleaded guilty to two counts of assaulting an emergency worker.

Andrew Swaby, defending, said: "This defendant accepts his behaviour was totally inappropriate at the time and he should have cooperated with the officers.”

Mr Swaby added Cregg’s record is consistent with a person who resorts to violence linked to alcohol abuse but the defendant has sought support from his GP in relation to anger management and alcohol issues.

Recorder Megan Rhys told Cregg: “This was an appalling piece of violence against two police officers who attended to simply carry out their duties and to respond to concerns by members of the public.”

She added: “These offences were a pattern of offending. When looking at your record they were both committed under the influence of alcohol which again is a recurring theme.”

Recorder Rhys sentenced Cregg to nine months of custody.

Read More

Read More
Reformed South Yorkshire drug-dealer is spared from jail after turning his life ...

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to The Star website and enjoy unlimited access to local news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content.

Visit https://www.thestar.co.uk/subscriptions now to sign up.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Thank you

Nancy Fielder, editor