Alert over horrifying social media 'game' after schoolboy dies
Parents and youngsters are being warned about a dangerous social media 'game' after the death of a 12-year-old boy.
Karnel Haughton reportedly lost consciousness and suffocated after taking part in the craze which involves people choking themselves and posting the video on social media.
Bee Bailey, a friend of Karnel's mother, wrote on Facebook that the 'game' was becoming 'terrifyingly popular online'.
She added: "It is so, so, so important that you talk to your children and make sure they know that one of many consequences of playing this game is sadly death.
"Unfortunately Karnel passed out and was not able to help himself and passed away.
"His family want to raise awareness so other parents don't have to face the same heartbreaking news."
Karnel was found in the bedroom of his Birmingham home by his mother last Wednesday evening.
He died later in hospital.
Police are treating his death as 'unexplained' and a file is being prepared for the coroner.