Doncaster woman is first McDonald's customer with Big Mac 110 miles from home

A Doncaster woman became McDonald’s first walk-in customer in three months when she tucked into a Big Mac more than 100 miles away from home.

Thursday, 18th June 2020, 12:35 pm
Updated Thursday, 18th June 2020, 12:36 pm

Claire Whittaker was the first customer through the door when the fast food chain re-opened 11 branches across the country for walk-in service yesterday.

Claire, from Doncaster, and Yvonne Oakes from Halifax enjoyed a Big Mac meal and chicken nugget meal, washed down with Coke and Coke Zero at the Watford Gap services.

The firm has opened its motorway service station branches first.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Watford Gap was among the McDonald's branches to re-open.

She said: 'I'm so delighted that McDonald's is back at Roadchef as it means I can once again get my fix – it has been too long!'

Stores opened at 11am and next to follow will be high street, town and city centre restaurants across the UK and Ireland from Wednesday, June 24.

The number of customers allowed in store will be capped, with a one-way system in place and hand sanitiser at cleaning stations.

There will be fewer self-order screens switched on, sanitised at least every 30 minutes, while seating areas, customer toilets and lifts will remain closed.

The High Street chain has also emphasised that people should not visit any of the restaurants if they are unwell.

McDonald's also announced that its popular breakfast menu will be back from June 24 but has yet to reveal the branches at which it will be available.

McDonald's said the breakfast menu will only be available in 'a small number' of restaurants to begin with as part of a trial. The plan is then to roll it out nationwide in July if the trial is deemed successful.

Following the opening of a few restaurants for delivery only, then drive thrus, the firm is starting the re-opening of its branches with motorway service station restaurants, including Tibshelf, south of Sheffield on the M1.

McDonald’s UK chief executive Paul Pomroy said: "Following a closed test in London last month, I am pleased to confirm that we will begin reopening for takeaway and click and collect.

"Starting on Wednesday 17 June, in 11 Roadchef service station locations, we will welcome motorway users back inside our restaurants for the first time since March.”