Tragedy as ‘fantastic’ Sheffield-raised mum had fatal heart attack three days after giving birth

The family of a Rotherham woman who died shortly after giving birth have spoken out after an inquest into her death concluded.

By Lloyd Bent
Friday, 28th February 2020, 2:54 pm
Updated Monday, 2nd March 2020, 3:37 pm

Vidal Marshall, 30, underwent a caesarean section at Rotherham Hospital on 25 March, 2019. Three days later, she collapsed while feeding her newborn son. She suffered a brain injury when she was starved of oxygen for 29 minutes and later died.

A post mortem examination report outlined the cause of death was a pulmonary embolism which led to cardiac arrest and brain injury.

Vidal’s parents Philip and Linda Marshall have now spoken for the first time about their loss.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Vidal Marshall, who died aged 30

It comes after an inquest at Doncaster Coroner’s Court confirmed that Vidal died from a pulmonary embolism following a Caesarean section, which led to a cardiac arrest and brain injury.

It found that intra-abdominal bleeding caused by resuscitation and the administering of Alteplase medication to treat the pulmonary embolism was also a contributory factor.

Helen Royles-Jones, the medical negligence expert representing Vidal’s family, said: “Whilst the hospital staff were working on the basis that Vidal had suffered a pulmonary embolism, Linda and Philip were later told that Vidal died from a haemorrhage and breakdown of her Caesarean section wound.

“It was only when the post mortem examination report was complete that the suspicion of pulmonary embolism was confirmed. Vidal was identified as having risk factors for pulmonary embolism and she had felt unwell in the day before her collapse.”

Vidal, who grew up in Sheffield, was already mother to two children when she was diagnosed with diabetes in 2017. She was closely monitored during her third pregnancy and was advised she would need to be induced at 37 weeks due to being diabetic.

On 22 March 2019, Vidal’s labour was induced. Three days later, there were still no signs of delivery so medical staff performed a Caesarean section.

Following the birth of her newborn son, he developed jaundice and Vidal was advised to stay in hospital with him.

Just after midnight on 28 March, Philip and Linda were informed that Vidal had suffered a heart attack.

Vidal was transferred to the intensive care unit, where she went into cardiac arrest again. Medical staff battled to save her, but she sadly passed away three hours later.

In a joint statement after the inquest Linda, 51, and Philip, 56, said: “It has been such a traumatic time for us, having to deal with losing our daughter and then having to hear about it all over again at the inquest.

“Vidal was dearly loved by us all and we miss her so much. She was a fantastic mum who adored her children. It is devastating to know that they will now grow up without her in their lives, particularly her newborn son who will never know her.

“He is such a beautiful baby boy and we will tell him about his mum every day.”

At the inquest, Senior Coroner Nicola Mundy recorded a narrative conclusion.