Doncaster coronavirus death toll reaches 64 as more than 100 discharged after treatment

The death toll from coronavirus in Doncaster has risen by one in the last 24 hours – but more than 100 people have now been discharged after treatment.

Wednesday, 22nd April 2020, 2:55 pm
Updated Wednesday, 22nd April 2020, 2:56 pm

According to latest NHS figures, there have now been 64 COVID-19 deaths in the Doncaster and Bassetlaw Trust area – an increase of one on yesterday’s figure.

Yesterday saw a dramatic rise after the toll had remained static since April 16.

However, there is sometimes a delay in reporting deaths and the figures do not include any deaths in care homes or the community.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Doncaster Royal Infirmary.

There have been a total of 280 cases recorded across the Trust’s three hospitals which includes Doncaster Royal Infirmary, Mexborough’s Montagu Hospital and Worksop’s Bassetlaw Hospital

Earlier this week, Doncaster and Bassetlaw NHS Trust said 100 patients had been allowed home after treatment.

A spokesman said: “We have safely cared for, treated and discharged 100 patients in total, who are now back home and recuperating after a battle with this horrible illness.”

Nationally, a further 665 people, who tested positive for the Coronavirus (Covid-19) have died, bringing the total number of confirmed reported deaths in hospitals in England to 16,272.

Locally, among the people to have lost their lives to COVID-19 are NHS worker Kevin Smith, clergyman Deacon Neil Bailey and Paul Piercy, a member of Doncaster rock group Stafford Galli and a well known guitar teacher in Doncaster.

Mr Smith, a plaster technician who worked at DRI for nearly four decades, is believed to be Doncaster’s only NHS worker to die from the virus.