Most of the market is now open, but the Wednesday market is still closed – sparking criticism from a long standing trader who also works at other second hand markets in Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire.
He asked not to be named, and said he had been charged £41 a month for his stall by the company that runs the market, even though he could not trade, all through lockdown.
He said: “The market was in full swing on Tuesday, bustling. We’re missing out on custom, and we have kids to feed. I’ve had to sell possessions to get by. Places like Chesterfield are already back. It feels like the second hand market is being treated differently to the other Doncaster markets.”
He said he had been told that he still had to pay rent through lockdown in Doncaster, but had not not been charged by the other markets where he works.
He said he was told this was because it had been the Government’s decision to stop the markets trading. He also said he was told to apply for a grant from the council. He added when he did, he was turned down because he did not store his stock within the market.
Emma Forbes business development manager for Market Asset Management, said: “The Wednesday Market traders have all been informed that it will be returning on July 8 and the reason behind the decision to delay the opening by a couple of weeks.
“We decided to trial our social distancing measures, including changes to the trader layouts and one way systems, on the smaller weekly markets prior to the larger Wednesday Market returning. This was to ensure the safety of our traders, our team, and members of the public.
“We have credited traders for this period and we are working with the council to help the traders for all our outdoor markets, receive grants, through the recent discretionary grant fund which is designed to help businesses such as regular Market Traders.”