Wheatley suffer a second body blow

Leading from the front: Doncaster Phoenix player-coach Ryan Peacy.    '               Picture: FSP IMAGES
Leading from the front: Doncaster Phoenix player-coach Ryan Peacy. ' Picture: FSP IMAGES

WHEATLEY Hills North East One title hopes suffered a second successive setback.

Well beaten at home by Beverley, who have now stretched their lead at the top to nine points in their previous game a fortnight ago, the Doncaster side were beaten 36-5 away to Morley. The West Yorkshire side, who have now climbed into second spot, were far better in possession than Wheatley, who struggled to make any impact faced with some keen marking.

Wheatley welcomed back free-scoring No 8 Gaz Burns after suspension, but the home side had clearly done their homework and he was given little room. Morley scored the first of their four first half tries after just four minutes, scrum-half Mark Cooke going over from a lineout close to the Wheatley line.

Winger Koby Gyaso ran in a brace of tries, one of which converted, and centre Scott Hayes effectively sealed Wheatley’s fate after intercepting a long pass and racing in for another converted try.

Despite playing slightly better in the second half, Wheatley fell further behind in the third quarter from a penalty and a converted try. They stuck at it, however, and second-rower Dan Undy went over for a 58th minute consolation try.

Doncaster Phoenix ended the first half of their Yorkshire League Two campaign still holding on to top spot after beating Skipton 25-7.

The Castle Park side, for whom kicker Dan Storey had a rare off-day with the boot on a very heavy pitch which made kicking difficult, ran in five unconverted tries.

Player-coach Ryan Peacy claimed three of the tries for Phoenix, who led 10-0 at the break, with fly-half Storey and winger Owen Denovan also touching down for the visitors.

“We are delighted to be top at this stage of the season,” said spokesman Billy Farley. “It’s Ryan’s first season and he was aiming for a top-four place.”

Thornensians secured a narrow 24-23 Division Three victory at Leeds Medics after trailing 20-12 at the break. Left winger Brett Hunt gave Thorne an early lead with a try converted by fly-half Mike Beckett, only for Medics to hit back with three tries to lead 20-7.

Second-row Aden Smith narrowed the gap with a try just before half-time. Medics added a penalty after the break, but from then on it was all Thornensians and prop Jay Smythe and right winger Danny Gilbert both touched down. Beckett kicked the crucial conversion to secure the visitors a narrow win.