Wheatley hold off a late Old Brodleians charge

Creating a spark: Phoenix scrum half Joe Watts.  Picture: Graham Severn
Creating a spark: Phoenix scrum half Joe Watts. Picture: Graham Severn

WHEATLEY Hills maintained their North East One title challenge with a 29-23 win at mid-table Old Brodleians.

The third-placed Doncaster side struck an early blow when winger Tom Barker finished off a good handling move down the line to claim an unconverted fifth-minute try.

Third try: Jonny Woodcock

Third try: Jonny Woodcock

The West Yorkshire side hit back on 10 minutes to level the scores after their full-back had made the extra man.

Wheatley regained the lead on 15 minutes after prop Tom Buckenham rounded off a forward drive with a second unconverted try.

Brods cut Wheatley’s lead to two points after the visitors had strayed offside.

Former Dons and Sheffield Eagles’ full-back Jonny Woodcock added a third Wheatley try, converted by fly-half Jack Craswell, after joining the line.

The home side cut the interval deficit to just 17-15 with a converted try in the last minute of stoppage time.

Wheatley centre Mickey Hayward raced clear before committing the Brods’ full-back and sending the supporting second-rower Dan Undy over for a 43rd minute try. Craswell again added the extras to make it 24-15.

Brods kicked a second penalty to close the gap to 24-18.

Scum-half Ian Barker gave his side a bit of extra breathing space with an unconverted try in the corner on 55 minutes.

Brods hit back on the hour, scoring another converted try.

The home side finished strongly and Wheatley were relieved to see a late try in the corner disallowed for a forward pass.

Doncaster Phoenix went down 42-18 away to Yorkshire League Division Two rivals Barnsley.

But Phoenix felt that the final score-line flattered Barnsley, who ran in several tries in the final quarter to make the game safe.

The Castle Park side took an early 3-0 lead with a Johnny Stuart penalty only for the home side to hit back with a brace of tries, one of which was converted, to lead 12-3.

Stuart pegged three points back with a second penalty.

Barnsley stretched their lead to 19-6 with a second converted try before second-rower Greg Neill scored the first of Doncaster’s two tries, converted by Stuart, to make it 19-13 at the break.

Barnsley extended their lead with a penalty early in the second half but the visitors were back in the game when scrum-half Joe Watts went in from a short line-out.

Barnsley got well on top in the final quarter, however, as Phoenix’s earlier efforts started to take their toll.

Thornensians put home advantage to good use, beating Division Three rivals Halifax Vandals 22-3 at Coulman Road.

The Doncaster side ran in three tries without reply against lowly Vandals.

Fly-half Olly Cox, centre Tom Holt and scrum-half Arran Holt, who also landed a long-range penalty were the ones to cross the line.