Rugby Union round-up: Woodcock stars in Wheatley’s win over Sheffield

Andy Ellis makes good ground for Doncaster Phoenix in their narrow defeat at Dinnington. Picture: FSP Images.
Andy Ellis makes good ground for Doncaster Phoenix in their narrow defeat at Dinnington. Picture: FSP Images.

Wheatley Hills battled to the narrowest of wins over Sheffield, running out 13-12 winners.

Hills’ Jonathan Woodcock, playing at fly half, opened the scoring after six minutes, stepping up to accurately kick a penalty.

Sheffield were soon into their stride though and James Twomey scored his first try of the game coming in off the right wing after a good break from Jimmy Pearson.

After the break, Hills grabbed their first try with Woodcock crashing over under the posts after a period of pressure in the Sheffield 22.

On 67 minutes, Twomey added a second try, running over in the corner.

Pearson was the man tasked with making a tough conversion from a wide position and with the wind swirling, he hit a magnificent kick to convert.

Two minutes later, Woodcock was presented with the chance to win the game for Wheatley after being awarded a penalty 30 metres out and more or less straight in front of the posts.

He held his nerve to slot over and seal the win.

Doncaster Phoenix and Wath on Dearne, though still holding third and fourth places in Yorkshire One, were both left to salvage losing bonus points in their latest outings.

Phoenix were edged out 10-9 at leaders Dinnington as the home side scored the only two tries of the match.

The Doncaster side were left feeling hard done by after losing out by a single point on the road to top of the table Dinnington.

They were stretched at times with a number of players sin-binned after receiving yellow cards.

But Phoenix only had eight fouls recorded against Dinnington’s 24, yet the home side didn’t receive a single yellow.

It was Dinnington who took the lead in the first half, scoring a pushover try on 20 minutes.

There was no further scoring before the break but Phoenix did hit back in the second half.

Ben Millar was presented with three quick-fire penalty kicks in the 57th minute and the stand-off found the target each time to give his side a 9-5 lead.

But then, Dinnington pinched the win in the last play of the game, once more scoring a try from a pushover in the corner.

Wath, who hammered their rivals 49-21 at Moor Road last October, went down 17-11 on their visit to lower placed Bridlington.

Wath had started in lively fashion when they went ahead with an early try by second row forward Gareth Webb.

Bridlington, who beat Doncaster Phoenix the previous week, equalised with a try from their winger Will Davies, although a penalty goal by full-back Thomas Quinn

put Wath back in front at 8-5.

However, Bridlington scored the decisive try just before half time by second row Auryn Murray, converted by Jamie Muru, to turn round 12-8 ahead.

Quinn’s second penalty proved to be Wath’s only score of the second half, and Bridlington sealed their win when prop Ezra Luxton crashed over for a try in the last minute of the game.

Muru missed the difficult conversion kick, which handed Wath a bonus for losing by seven points or less.