Rugby Union round-up: Wheatley Hills, Thornensians, Rossington claim impressive wins

Owen Gillvray kicked four conversions for Wheatley.
Owen Gillvray kicked four conversions for Wheatley.

Two tries from hooker Sam Kerry helped Wheatley Hills recover from a slow start to collect a 33-12 victory in their North One East match at home to South Shields Westoe.

Full-back Jonny Woodcock and winger Matty Shaw both went over for Hills with Tom Buckingham at number 8 also adding one in a game which saw the home side largely dominate in the pack.

Owen Gillvray was on form from the tee to kick four conversions for Wheatley Hills as a strong display by the forwards helped rack up the points to see off a stubborn South Shields Westoe.

Doncaster Phoenix were left without a match after Northern pulled out because of a lack of players.

Northern will receive a points deduction and the match will be rescheduled.

Wath on Dearne were 27-22 winners away at Sheffield Medicals thanks to some clinical kicking from Sam Jones in the Yorkshire Two clash.

Fly-half Adam West scored for Wath after the hosts had raced into a 12-0 lead early on, before second-row Simon Lines put the visitors into the ascendency before the break.

Both were converted by Jones before a penalty increased their lead, and Matt Burrows went over shortly after to give Wath a more commanding lead.

Medicals scored late on to take the game to the wire but were made to pay for a lack of precision from the tee.

Ryan Pilley scored a hat trick as Thornensians played with great spirit to win their sixth consecutive Yorkshire Three game away at long standing rivals Halifax with a 31-10 scoreline.

Tries from Robert Raper and Pilley handed Thorne a 12-0 lead at the break.

In the second half, the Thorne scrum destroyed their opponents with Pilly running in two more tries. Evan Johnson provided another.

Antony Bull converted three tries and newcomer Ricky Lee Thompson had a promising debut, coming on in the centre for the injured Ryan Russell.

Rossington Hornets went third in Yorkshire Five after a 25-5 victory over Wibsey.