Rugby Union round-up: Wheatley Hills prop up table after West Hartlepool defeat

editorial image

Wheatley Hills remain bottom of the North One East table after a 36-7 defeat at West Hartlepool on Saturday.

The hosts had won all six of their games this season and it was always likely to be a tough game for Wheatley.

Their cause was not helped when No 8 Paul Purnell was dismissed, meaning the visitors had to play the majority of the game with 14 men.

West Hartlepool were 26-0 up at the break, but Wheatley Hills did score a consolation try through Liam Butler, that was converted by Dave Laycock.

Wheatley kept fighting with a man short, and the result was an improvement on the corresponding fixture last season, a 47-6 defeat.

West Hartlepool however confidently preserved their 100 per cent start of seven straight bonus point wins, as Wheatley host Huddersfield YMCA next week hoping to get their first win of the season.

Thornensians’ tough sequence of October fixtures continued as they were defeated 33-11 in their Yorkshire Two encounter at third placed Pontefract.

Thorne will have met all four top teams in the league when the month is out and, despite home advantage, they will face their biggest hurdle this Saturday when they take on runaway leaders Moortown, who rattled off nine tries on their way to a 57-17 win over Wetherby.

As in the previous week’s match against Old Rishworthians, Thorne fought back well but were unable to get back on terms after conceding three first-half tries to go 19-0 behind.

The visitors also suffered a blow when second row forward Tom Hughes went off with concussion in the first half.

They came back with two penalty goals by fly-half Andy Barrass to reduce the arrears to 19-6 at the turnround, but Pontefract increased their lead in the second half when they were awarded a penalty try in a driving maul from a line-out.

Thorne’s best moment came when centre Zac Holgate raced through to score their only try, bringing the score back to 26-11, but Pontefract sealed their win with a try in the closing stages by their No 8.

Wath on Dearne came from behind to earn a 25-25 draw away to Roundhegians in Yorkshire Division Two.

Down 18-3 at the break, the visitors brought on second row Richard Hill to sure up the pack and changed the game in their favour.

Joe Earp, Wath captain Steve Mason and Matthew Burrows all went over to earn a share of the points.

Rossington Hornets couldn’t raise a full side for their Yorkshire Five trip to Garforth because of injuries.

Doncaster Phoenix were not in action after bringing their match with Cleckheaton forward to Oct 15, but return to action this Saturday when they go to Rossendale.