Rugby Union: Revenge is sweet for Wheatley Hills

editorial image

Wheatley Hills gained some belated revenge when they rounded off their North One East campaign with a resounding 48-0 home victory over Morpeth.

The North East side inflicted a last gasp 26-25 defeat on Hills on the opening day of the season.

But their final day clash was one-way traffic as Wheatley eased to an eight try win.

Playing some fine rugby and showing remarkable consistency, Wheatley scored four tries and 24 points in each half.

Jonathan Woodcock set the tone when he crashed over with the game barely a minute old.

Prop Anthony O’Donnell and Lee Brown added further tries, the latter converted by Mark Sanderson.

Rob Worrincy then ran half the length of the field to score and Sanderson’s conversion put them 24 points clear.

O’Donnell crashed over for his second try to open the second half scoring, and another forwards’ try came when Tom White touched down from a five-metre scrum.

Substitute Jamie Webb made his mark when he raced over for a try on 73 minutes, Sanderson converting.

Then, on the stroke of full time, second row Dan Undy touched down following a good passing move along the line.

The victory capped a mixed season for Wheatley. Eleven win out of 26 games saw them finish eighth in the table.

Thornensians’ three tries were not enough to take anything against Goole in Yorkshire Three, as they succumbed 24-32 to the Junior Vase semi-finalists.

After going down to an early try, Thornensians were soon back in contention through a try from centre Stuart Hughes which Konrad Hanson converted.

A Hanson penalty then saw them take the lead but Goole turned the screw and ran in two more tries before the break.

Lee Linsdell and Robert Moffatt scored tries for the home side in the second half and both were converted by Hanson but it wasn’t to be enough.

Thornensians still have plenty to play for – they face Doncaster Phoenix in the South Yorkshire Trophy, Castleford in the Yorkshire Silver Trophy and Old Modernians in the league.

Rossington Hornets narrowly lost 22-20 at Thirsk in their final Yorkshire Five match of the season.