Rugby union: Doncaster Phoenix and Wath lead the way in Yorkshire One

editorial image

Doncaster Phoenix consolidated top spot in Yorkshire One by running in seven tries on their way to a 43-33 victory at Bridlington.

Phoenix were rampant before the break as they opened up a 31-0 by half time.

Winger Dan Greenslade scored their first try, swiftly followed by scores from former Knights No 8 Chris Planchant, centre Andy Ellis and full back Dan Lovell, with fly half Ben Millar kicking three conversions.

The East Yorkshire side did get off the mark in the second half, but Phoenix added to their tally with two more tries from Greenslade, one from Tom Barker, and another Millar conversion.

Wath upon Dearne, meanwhile, showed excellent fitness and quality in the back line as they left Acklam with a 41-7 victory - to move second in the table behind Phoenix.

Andy Appleyard kicked an early penalty to put Wath into the lead, and second row captain Simon Lines soon added to the score with the first try of the game, converted by Appleyard.

Full back Ian Barker went over again before the break and Appleyard once again added the extras with his trusty boot to make it 17-0.

Andy Hopkin ensured that Wath picked up where they left off in the second half with the inside centre crashing over for their third of the game.

Steve Mason was next to get in on the action and Appleyard once again converted before going on to score a try and convert himself.

Prop Ben Myers completed the scoring for Wath with a sixth try before Acklam scored a consolation with minutes remaining.

Phoenix host Dinnington on Saturday, while Wath welcome Bridlington to Moor Road.

Mid-table Wheatley Hills slipped off the pace in North One East when they went down 14-8 on their visit to lower placed Northumberland rivals Alnwick.

It was a disappointing performance from Wheatley, who gained more than their fair share of possession but often struggled for ideas against a more enterprising Alnwick.

They conceded a converted try early in the game, and the only further score of the first half was a penalty goal for Wheatley by Jonathan Woodcock, who was playing in the centre.

Alnwick added another converted try soon after the restart to lead 14-3, but Wheatley kept their hopes alive when scrum half Matthew Potts went over for a try well out on the touchline after a period of forward pressure by the visitors.

Wheatley slipped from seventh to ninth position.

Elsewhere, Thornensians lost 31-5 at Rotherham Phoenix in Yorkshire Three. They entertain Skipton at Coulman Road on Saturday.

In Yorkshire Five, Rossington Hornets travel to Wibsey following a blank weekend.