Dons demolish Stags to get promotion push back on track '“ Hemel 10 Doncaster RLFC 74

The Dons ended a run of three successive League One defeats on the road when romping to victory over lowly Hemel Stags at Pennine Way.

Sunday, 1st July 2018, 5:44 pm
Updated Wednesday, 4th July 2018, 5:16 pm
Jack Sanderson scored four tries in the demolition of Hemel. Picture: Rob Terrace

They ran in 14 tries in a one-sided game which saw them complete their first double of the season.

But they will face much tougher opposition in their fourth successive away game at second-placed York on Sunday.

The Dons proved as hot as the weather in the first half as they scored more than a point a minute to open up a 46-6 interval lead.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Dual-registered Hull FC second-rower Jansin Turgut, celebrating his first game for the club since 2016, touched down for an unconverted try after just four minutes.

Full-back Jack Sanderson scored the first of his four tries when joining the line and sprinting 30 metres to score in the corner.

Sanderson then supplied the pass from which young second-rower Jack Downs touched down for the Dons third try, which scrum-half Jordie Hedges converted to make it 14-0.

Sanderson continued to prove a handful for the Hemel defence and broke the line inside his own half prior to rounding his opposite number Jack Mitchell and scoring near enough for Hedges to add the extras.

Leading try-scorer Jason Tali, who had bagged a brace in the 60-0 win when the two clubs met at the Keepmoat Stadium in April, ran on to Sanderson’s pass to score for the second successive game.

Hooker Kyle Kesik crossed from close range for a try which Sanderson goaled to make it 30-0 after 25 minutes.

Yet to win at home in the league this season, Stags opened their account with converted try by winger Darren Forde but the Dons quickly regained the initiative and scored three more tries before the break.

Turgut kicked things off when touching down from a flat pass by Jordan Howden with Hedges racing in from over 40 metres after Stags had been caught flat-footed from a tap penalty. Sanderson completed a first-half hat-trick when claiming his side’s ninth try on 39th minutes.

Sanderson struck again within a minute of the restart in what was to prove a high-scoring third quarter.

Hedges claimed his second after supporting a fine break by hooker Jez Litten before winger Aaron Jones-Bishop weaved his way over following a neat off-load by Tali.

Litten broke away again and touched down himself to become the Dons’ eighth different scorer. With Howden converting all but one Richard Horne’s side took a 68-6 lead into the final quarter.

Surprisingly, and their failure to do so may prove costly if final league positions come down to points difference, the Dons only added one more try in the last 20 minutes – a long-range effort by Jones-Bishop on the hooter.

Prior to the try a 77th minute touchdown by centre Matty Welham had looked like robbing the Dons of their biggest league win of the season.

Dons: Sanderson, Owen, Cameron Scott, Tali, Jones-Bishop, Howden, Hedges; Spiers, Kesik, Boyle, England, Downs, Turget. Subs: Connor Scott, Muranka, Martin, Litten.