Doncaster RLFC 70 Coventry Bears 10: Hakim Miloudi equals Dons’ points-in-a-game record in big opening day win

Hakim Miloudi. Photo: Rob Terrace
Hakim Miloudi. Photo: Rob Terrace

French international Hakim Miloudi equalled Doncaster Rugby League Club’s points-in-a-match record set by Tony Zelei back 1991 despite playing for less than an hour.

The dual-registered Hull FC back scored four tries – the last coming on the final hooter - and kicked eight conversions to finish with a tally of 32 points in the club’s 70-10 win over Coventry Bears in their League One opener at the Keepmoat Stadium.

Miloudi wasn’t the only man to catch the eye in what was an impressive start for the Dons and there looks to be more to come though they will face far tougher challenges in the months ahead.

Bears showed their teeth early on with winger Haydn Freeman rewarding a spell of pressure with a sixth-minute try in the corner.

The Dons responded with a touchdown by last season’s joint top try scorer Jason Tali which stand-off Jack Miller converted from touch to make it 6-4.

The home side stretched their lead in the 13th minute with a try on the other flank by second-rower Brad England. Miller again tagged on the extras to make it 12-4.

With the Dons playing an increasingly expansive style of rugby, they dominated the game territorially and it took the Bears until the 25th minute to threaten the home line again.

They made it pay, however and making the most of successive penalties they closed the gap to just two points with a close-range converted try by hooker Lewis Lord.

Once again the Dons produced a quick response with prop Russ Spiers ghosting through a tight gap close to the line.

Miller again tagged on the conversion prior to being helped off after picking up an injury when being tackled close to the line following a break.

Despite the disruption the Dons continued to dictate and there was only one outcome when second-rower Charlie Martin put scrum-half Liam Harris into space 20 metres out.

Miloudi, who replaced Miller, added the extras, as he did shortly after when Spiers bagged his second, to make it 30-10.

Bears made a spirited start to the second half and it took the Dons ten minutes to add to their account with a close-range converted try by prop Zac Braham.

Tali latched on to a loose ball just inside his own half and raced away to claim his second. Miloudi again converted to make it 42-10.

Miloudi then ran 90 metres to score an unconverted try on the hour after pulling of an interception.

A second try by Miloudi, which he also converted, saw the Dons top the 50 point mark with over ten minutes to go.

Miloudi completed his hat-trick when rewarding excellent work by Harris, whose pace will trouble the best of sides at this level, and Martin in the build-up.

Harris backed up a long break by prop Connor Scott to score his second and what looked to be the last try of the game.

Dons: Owen, Doherty, Bower, Tali, Jones-Bishop, Miller, Harris; Boyle, Kesik, Scott, England, Martin, Hedges. Subs: Spiers, Cross, Braham, Miloudi.