Doncaster 32 Swinton Lions 36

The Dons v Swinton. Stu Sanderson and Paul Hughes celebrate.  Picture: Marie Caley D2357MC
The Dons v Swinton. Stu Sanderson and Paul Hughes celebrate. Picture: Marie Caley D2357MC

THE Dons threw the match away when they conceded three tries in the early stages but fought back to give the unbeaten leaders a fright.

Tony Miller’s men froze at the start and found themselves 18-0 down after just 13 minutes but there was little to choose between the teams once they settled into their stride.

Impressive full back Ian Mort powered his way through to give Swinton a 5th minute lead and then landed the first of his six goals with a brilliant touchline conversion.

Martin Ainscough notched the second try in the 9th minute with Dale Cunliffe adding the third four minutes later as Doncaster looked as if they would be overpowered.

But Miller’s men steadied themselves and hit back to more than match the top team and give them their toughest game of the season.

Stu Sanderson dived over in the corner following slick work by Craig Robinson in the 20th minute and raced through again to touchdown after Ian Watson had scored a controversial try for Swinton.

The Dons struck through Mike Emmett to leave themselves trailing 24-16 at the interval and applied tremendous pressure to the visitors defence at the start of the second half.

Swinton had all on to keep them out but grabbed another try against the run of play when winger Rob Foxen broke away to race 60 yards before touching down.

Another Lions try from Darren Hawkyard on 59 minutes put them 20 points in front - and firmly in command.

But the Dons were not finished and hit back with three late tries to earn a bonus point.

Craig Fawcett rounded off a splendid move in the 74 minute and Chris Spurr went over in the corner four minutes later.

The Dons finished the match in barnstorming style as the Lions visibly wilted and Carl Hughes rounded off a superb move when he dived over in the corner as the final hooter sounded.