Doncaster 16 Halifax 34: Dons salvage some pride

editorial image

THE Dons produced a strong second half performance to undo much of the damage of a first half demolition job from high-flying visitors Halifax.

It looked all set to be a Bank Holiday horror show for the Dons as Championship leaders Halifax strolled to a 34-0 lead by half time.

But Doncaster fired back in the second half with a much more determined attack coupled with improved defence.

To have nilled the runaway league leaders in a second half where they could have easily crumbled deserves great credit.

And the Dons were somewhat unfortunate to come away from the game empty handed after their strong second half response.

There was a strong start to the game from Doncaster who, but for a little wastefulness, should have opened the scoring in the early stages.

And they lived to regret that as Halifax ran riot.

With their first attack the visitors opened the scoring with Steve Tyrer squeezing over from close range before converting his own effort.

It could not have been more simple for Rob Worrincy to add the second try as quick movement of the ball presented him with a clear run to the line, Tyrer again converting.

A calamatous effort gifted Halifax another on 19 minutes as Ben Blackmoor collected a high ball for the Dons and failed to check behind him before attempting a pass to Lee Waterman, with Tyrer stealing in for his second.

After winning a penalty on 30 metres, Halifax ran in a fourth with Sam Barlow barging his way over, converted by Tyrer.

The pace of scrum half Anthony Thackery was a potent weapon for Halifax. He ghosted past an attempted tackle before laying off for Craig Ashall to score before bursting through the Dons’ line to grab one of his own soon after.

The Dons forced the issue from the off after the break were aided when Dave Manning was sinbinned.

With the numbers advantage, the Dons ran in two tries.

Paul Cooke - the driving force for the hosts - played in Chris Spurr who caught the Halifax defence flat footed to score before the stand off converted. And then Cooke produced an overhand pass out to Ben Blackmoor who dived over.

Doncaster grabbed what proved to be the game’s final try on 61 minutes when Kyle Kesik found powerhouse Brett Waller who forced his way over.

Dons: Waterman, Tuffour, Cowling, Kay, Blackmoor, Cooke, Fawcett, Waller, Kesik, Trout, Robinson, Spurr, Emmett. Subs: Castle, Scott, Powley, Leaf.