VIDEO: Sheffield Steelers 4-1 Braehead Clan - Match highlights

He is only 5ft 8ins tall - but Tyler Mosienko put in two towering performances for Sheffield Steelers.

The mini-marvel bagged a hat-trick last night as Steelers beat Braehead Clan 4-1 and scored a late goal that made a win secure against the champions Belfast Giants 4-2 on Saturday.

Tyler Mosienko celebrates his hat-trick against Braehead Clan. Picture: Dean Woolley

Tyler Mosienko celebrates his hat-trick against Braehead Clan. Picture: Dean Woolley

Thirty-year-old Mosienko is showing precisely the sort of form that coach Gerad Adams had hoped for when he signed him in the summer.

And two straight wins against such high quality opposition have the Arena crowd in expectant mood, with titles and trophies clearly on the mind.

Clan had been heavily beaten on Saturday at Fife Flyers and they looked on a mission in the early stages at the House of Steel. They powered some decent shots on Frank Doyle, the best opportunity falling to former Steeler Lee Esders.

But Clan seemed error-prone defensively.

Zack Fitzgerald, who has played for Vancouver Canucks, gave the puck away too cheaply and even goalie Kyle Jones surrendered possession and then fell over - although Rob Dowd couldn’t benefit from the comedy moment.

Clan’s markers left Mosienko on his own in the left circle at 6;07 and the Canadian had time to turn and fire low past Jones.

The goal put wind behind Sheffield sails. Dowd and Michael Forney both had chances before the first buzzer.

The Scots responded to Ryan Finnerty’s team-talk with a goal 24 seconds into the period, Scott Pitt equalising.

But then Mosienko weaved his magic. The forward connected mid air with the puck to make it 2-1 at 31:14.

Twenty nine seconds later he flicked the puck high and near post to the only chink of the net that Jones had not covered. Adams had previously asked his forwards to execute better - and man of the match Mosienko had clearly been listening.

Clan helped them by imploding again: another defensive boob set up Jay Latulippe to make it 4-1 at 57:43.

Coach Adams had called for an explosive start to Saturday’s match against champions Belfast - and he got what he wanted.

Mathieu Roy scored past netminder Carsen Chubak after just 95 seconds, and Forney added another at 17;37. The shot seemed to hit the post rather than the net - but the referee Mike Hicks, who was in a good position, ruled it had crossed the line.

You can never rule out Gi and the middle period was a 2-1 success for the visitors, Craig Peacock and Ray Sawada scoring for them, with Ben O’Connor getting one back.

In a nerve jangling last session Sheffield goalie Doyle made some exquisite saves and Steelers defencemen dealt efficiently with rebounds and follow up chances.

The game was only put out of Giants’ reach when Mosienko scored an empty netter with 11 seconds remaining.