Explosive Cunningham claims English title

Jason Cunningham punishes Scott Gladwin
Jason Cunningham punishes Scott Gladwin

Former ABA king Jason Cunningham explosively picked up his first professional title with a demolition of Scott Gladwin at Doncaster’s Dome.

The Woodlands fighter punished Gladwin for four rounds, forcing him to retire on his stool and claiming the English bantamweight title.

Gladwin was downed twice in the first round with left hooks and again in the second after a big body shot. Another hefty body shot in the fourth looked to have done the damage which forced the end.

Cunningham’s significant height advantage saw him dominate and rarely get out of second gear in a dominant performance.

Denaby Main’s Adam Jones failed to make a successful homecoming as he lost out 77-75 against Hull’s Tom Knight in a British Masters Bronze light middleweight title bout.

Jones put Knight down with a huge right hook in the third round but the Hull man was a classier operator overall.

Scawthorpe’s Luke Crowcroft coped with a step up in class against Harry Matthews, who previously went the distance with Chris Eubank Jnr and Liam Cameron.

Crowcroft coped superbly and managed to boss Matthews at times for a closer than expected 58-57 decision.

Harworth lightweight Josh Morgan saw his fight disrupted after the trainers of opponent Ibrar Riyaz refused to send their man in with Graeme Williams as referee.

The issue stemmed from Williams’ decision to stop Jack Heath after a mauling from Stainforth’s Thomas Harty in the opening bout of the night.

It proved profitable for Riyaz when Michael Alexander stepped in to officiate as he denied Morgan a win for the first time in his career by holding him to a draw.

Harty’s stoppage of Heath was fully justified after a vicious beating which saw two knockdowns.

There were routine points wins for Barnsley’s Robbie Barrett and Doncaster’s Aston Jolly, seeing off Graham Fearn and Grzegorz Sikorski.

Barnsley’s Wakefield exile Andy Townend turned in a somewhat flat performance to be edged out by Dai Davies.

Micky Davies put a year of hand trouble behind him to convincingly see off journeyman Dee Mitchell who managed to share one round.

Derbyshire fighter Jamie Robinson was on the wrong end of a 78-76 points decision after a thrilling British Masters Bronze lightweight title war with Fergus Taylor.

At Barnsley Metrodome on Friday night, Jon Ibbotson returned to action after two years out with a draw against Courtney Richards.

Barnsley super bantam Josh Wale turned back the clock with the type of explosive stoppage which made him such a hot prospect as he downed Hungarian Miklos Hevesi in just 46 seconds with a vicious body shot.

Killamarsh’s Lee Connelly returned to action for the first time since impressing against Olympic gold medalist Luke Campbell with a convincing four rounds points triumph over Silas Volosinas.

Barnsley’s Ben Davies won the British Masters bronze middleweight title after opponent Kieron Gray retired with an injured hand.

Fellow Barnsley lad, Ben Wager had the edge over Michael Mooney while Lee Gibbons earned a first win in his third fight by seeing off Youssef Al Hamidi.