Dynamite bangs on pro debut

DYNAMITE KID: Micky Davies made an explosive start to life as a pro with a first round stoppage. Picture: Trevor Price.
DYNAMITE KID: Micky Davies made an explosive start to life as a pro with a first round stoppage. Picture: Trevor Price.

THEY don’t call him ‘Dynamite’ for nothing.

Micky Davies opened his professional account with a first round stoppage of Aaron Fox who was seeing stars after a hook to the temple sent him to the canvas.

The Stainforth light middleweight (pictured) looked incredibly confident for his debut outing, picking his shots superbly and commanding the ring.

And when Fox weaved low to dodge a shot, Davies struck with a hook to the side of the head to send him down.

Fox made the count but was in no position to continue according to referee Howard Foster, handing Davies a memorable opening win on a packed night of boxing at the Dome.

At 27-year-old, there is little time to waste with Davies.

But with such an explosive debut, he seems in no mood to hang about.

Should Connor Nixon continue to frighten off opponents with his phenomenal hand speed then he will have no problem holding onto his ‘Pretty Boy’ moniker.

The Hatfield super flyweight was involved in a game of cat and mouse with Bulgarian opponent Stefan Slavchev who he beat 40-36 on points.

Slavchev offered little other than being prey to be chased which Nixon did from the first bell as he sprinted out of the corner.

It was difficult for Nixon to contain a frustratingly slippery opponent but he produced a few of his trademark flurries to bring roars from the crowd.

The bout demonstrated further it will be tough to find testing opposition for Nixon before he reaches the upper echelons of the domestic division.

Stainforth’s Charlie Thompson got back to winning ways with a thoroughly professional performance against Jason Nesbitt.

Welterweight Thompson has been out on the road in recent months and suffered two defeats.

But he showed what he is capable of by picking his shots sensibly in a busy 60-55 points win.

He even managed to recover from mistakenly thinking the bout was over at the end of the fourth round and completed the job well in the final two rounds.

Denaby Main’s Adam Jones kicked off the packed night of boxing with a narrow points win over Rick Boulter.

Jones struggled to find any sort of rhythm against the tricky Boulter and took a number of shots throughout the contest.

The light middleweight improved as the bout wore on to put together a few combinations and secure a 39-38 win.

Scawthorpe’s Luke Crowcroft saw his debut bout against Bessacarr’s James Tucker cancelled after his brain scan was not returned in time.