Boxing: Bragging Rights undercard report

Thomas Harty Jnr v Elmir Rafael. Picture: Ian Lyall
Thomas Harty Jnr v Elmir Rafael. Picture: Ian Lyall

The chief support fight proved to be the most intriguing of the night with Cudworth’s Andy Townend bested by former world title contender Rendall Munroe.

Losers in boxing can come out winners and Townend certainly did from this major step up in class.

Townend by no means disgraced himself in the English super featherweight title eliminator, giving veteran Munroe plenty to think about.

The 24-year-old consistently landed and was matching the man from Leicester for long periods.

He had the Boxing Binman in trouble in a thrilling seventh round. Munroe was rocked by a seemingly innocuous shot but covered up superbly to somehow survive.

Townend used up plenty of energy chasing the knockdown and ended up in trouble himself by the end of the round.

It was from here that the fight drifted away from the gallant prospect.

Townend was downed twice in the ninth, both through crunching body shots, and his hopes were done.

Munroe earned a 98-92 points decision to keep his storied career alive.

But Townend will no doubt have earned a few respectful glances from his performances.

It was a positive night for the Hulley-Bully stable out of Mexborough as a whole.

Babyfaced debutant Thomas Harty Jnr came to the ring with plenty of buzz and left behind a great deal of excitement about his future.

The Thorne traveller convincingly bested Elemir Rafael – a former opponent of both main event fighters – over four rounds.

Rafael was in trouble on a couple of occasions but showed a wily nature to hang on and keep Harty at bay.

Harty clearly packs power in his punch but the true excitement comes from the range of his arsenal.

The 19-year-old showed an impressive range of shots for one so inexperienced.

Where he does have plenty to learn is in defence, something that at this stage is largely lacking. Harty barrels forward, his assault impressive, but he leaves himself wide open. But he has incredibly strong foundations on which to build.

Mickey Davies made his return to action following a long-term hand injury with a draw against Duane Green.

It was a laboured performance from the Stainforth middleweight on his step up to six rounds.

Davies had the chance to control the bout in the early stages but let the fight slip and allowed Green back in.

Connor Nixon returned to the ring for the first time since April to see off Brett Fidoe over four rounds.

Nixon came unstuck when changing his tactics against Scott Gladwin last time out. But he showcased more of the matador style with which he impressed so early in his career.

The Hatfield super flyweight showed excellent foot and hand speed, finding his range as the fight wore on and landing off his defensive work. But he still appeared to lack positivity and the fight was not as comfortable as the 40-37 score may suggest.

Harworth light welterweight Josh Morgan won every round on his way to a fourth straight pro win against Graham Fearn. Morgan grew into the bout as the fight progressed and was particularly comfortable. But the 23-year-old would do well to work on his range of shots.

Full results

British super bantamweight title final eliminator 12x3: Gavin McDonnell b Josh Wale - unanimous decision (118-111, 119-111, 117-113).

English super featherweight title eliminator 10x3: Rendall Munroe b Andy Townend - pts 98-92

Middleweight 6x3: Mickey Daves dr Duane Green - pts 57-57

Light welterweight 4x3: Josh Morgan b Graham Fearne - pts 40-36

Super flyweight 4x3: Connor Nixon b Brett Fidoe - pts 40-37

Bantamweight 4x3: Thomas Harty Jnr b Elemir Rafael - pts 40-36

Light welterweight 4x3: Fergus Taylor b Youssef Al Hamidi - pts 40-36