Paul Webster’s NCEL round-up: Armthorpe stun champions

Armthorpe's Leo Fortune-West has a strike on goal against Retford.  Picture: Andrew Roe
Armthorpe's Leo Fortune-West has a strike on goal against Retford. Picture: Andrew Roe

ARMTHORPE Welfare came from two goals down to claim their first win of 2013 by beating reigning Premier Division champions Retford United.

Welfare had not won since Boxing Day’s 2-1 victory at Lincoln Moorlands Railway, a win-less run of ten games which has left Leo Fortune-West’s men anxiously looking over their shoulders.

It seemed that run was set to continue when a Brett Lucas header and a Richard Medcalf strike saw the visitors go 2-0 up inside three minutes at Church Street.

But Welfare launched a stunning recovery to win 3-2 with goals from Jay Rollinns and Stuart Preston and a decisive own goal.

Rollins put Armthorpe back in the game by drilling in low from 19-yards.

Just before the hour mark Welfare restored parity when Stuart Preston fired low and hard to the keeper’s right from just inside the area.

With 14 minutes remaining Welfare completed their comeback.

Rollins beat his marker down the right before crossing hard and low from the by-line and Retford’s Lucas could only turn the ball into his own net.

Armthorpe keeper Will Biggs made an excellent save and then Luke Atkinson cleared off the line as the visitors sought an equaliser.

In time added on Craig Morley was shown a straight red, while Retford’s Medcalf also received his marching orders for a second yellow card as tempers frayed but it could not detract from a splendid fight back.

Rossington Main slumped to their heaviest defeat of the season as they went down 7-1 at in-form AFC Emley in Division One.

Main found themselves 3-0 down inside 32 minutes to an Anthony Haigh brace with a Steve Kenworthy effort sandwiched in between.

When Doran Jordan found the top corner with a great strike two minutes before the break it was very much a case of damage limitation.

Rossington held out until the 70th minute when Kenworthy added a fifth and Levi Maturine made it 6-0 five minutes later.

Main finally got on the score sheet on 78 minutes as Jonathan Mirfin netted a consolation effort but the home side had the last word as Kenworthy hit a seventh four minutes later to compete his hat trick.

Following a disastrous run of results that has seen Askern Villa lose their last ten league games on the trot and send them perilously close to the bottom of the table, manager Paul Curtis has moved to strengthen the squad with three new signings as he bids halt the clubs slide towards relegation.

Curtis has brought in defenders Matthew Pye and Adrian Thackrah to help plug a leaky defence that has conceded 19 goals in the last three games alone.

Completing the trio is midfielder Karl Hope, with all three arriving from Division One rivals Appleby Frodingham.

Villa saw both of their games postponed over the past week with the relegation showdown at Selby Town halted due to fog, while last weekend’s home clash with Grimsby Borough was off due to a waterlogged pitch.

The potentially make-or-break trip to Selby has been rearranged for Tuesday, April 9.