NCEL: Paul Webster’s weekend round-up

Northern Counties East Football League logo
Northern Counties East Football League logo

Battling Armthorpe Welfare could hold their heads up high despite a 2-0 defeat at Bridlington Town.

Welfare suffered an early blow when Darren Mansaram was forced off with an injury.

John Tunney almost gave Brian Johnston’s side the lead with a shot-come-cross that forced the Town keeper into a good save.

Bridlington started to get the upper hand and took the lead four minutes from the interval.

Craig Hogg turned smartly in the box before hitting an unstoppable shot past keeper Liam Copley.

Armthorpe were close to an equaliser moments later but Anthony Ryan’s effort was pushed wide by the home keeper.

Welfare gave it a real go in the second half and really should have been back on level terms.

Substitute Jay Rollins twice went agonisingly close to an equaliser, putting one chance wide then being denied by the keeper in a one-on-one situation.

James Walker saw another good effort parried by the keeper with Steve Garner’s follow-up deflected over the bar.

However, from an Armthorpe corner on 74 minutes Bridlington swept down the other end to seal the points when Frank Belt forced home a cross.

Rossington Main’s six-match winning run at Oxford Street was ended by Division One leaders Bottesford Town, who stretched their undefeated run to 16 games with a 2-1 victory.

The visitors edged in front on 26 minutes through Tom Johnson after the ball had been floated into the six-yard box.

Main responded with Ben Hunter firing narrowly wide after neat control.

Willie McGhie wasn’t far away with a shot that flew just over the angle, while Lee Holmes fired narrowly wide from Mark Rudd’s through ball.

However, Bottesford doubled their advantage just five minutes into the second half when the keeper’s clearance fell at the feet of Chris McDonald who from 40 yards out found the empty net.

Rossington had the chance to get back in the game when they were awarded a penalty for handball two minutes later, only for Holmes to see his kick well saved.

Main continued to press with Rudd having a shot well saved at the near post, then Holmes saw his 20-yard effort bounce down off the underside of the bar with claims the ball had crossed the line.

Steve Brennan’s side finally got on the scoresheet in the final minute when Hunter latched onto a through pass to round the keeper but it proved too little too late.

Maltby Main romped to a 6-2 win over the Premier Division’s basement club Lincoln Moorlands Railway.

Brain Cusworth headed the Miners into a fourth minute lead and Sam Forster doubled the lead on 19 minutes.

Lincoln pulled one back through Josh Schofield on 41 minutes.

But hopes of a comeback were soon dashed as Cusworth was left unmarked in the area to rifle home the third a minute later, before Lee Jordan made it 4-1 a minute before the break.

Gary Hibbert, with a fine 18-yard effort, stretched the lead two minutes into the second half, and Nathan Lovell pounced on a loose ball to drill home goal number six just before the hour mark.

Lincoln grabbed a second goal four minutes from time with an audacious lob from Schofield.