NCEL: All is Wel’ as Armthorpe end losing run

Armthorpe's Darren Mansaram.
Armthorpe's Darren Mansaram.

Armthorpe Welfare ended a run of three defeats on the trot with a goalless draw against promotion hopefuls Retford United at Oxford Street.

The visitors made a bright start but Armthorpe played their way back into the game and were unlucky not to take the lead midway through the half.

Craig Aspinall’s saw his effort came back off the post and Darren Mansaram on the follow up watched as his header was cleared off the line.

Welfare keeper Will Biggs did well to push a shot round the post just before the break in what was Retford’s only real effort on target.

Armthorpe continued to create the better openings in the second half and might well have won late on but substitute Anthony Ryan’s near post header dropped just the wrong side of the post.

Rossington Main were beaten for the first time in 10 games as two late goals gave hosts Shirebrook Town a 2-0 victory.

Tom Mullen nudged the home side in front on 86 minutes pouncing on a rebound after keeper Adam Stevens had made a fine stop.

Two minutes later Shirebrook grabbed the all important second lashing home a shot back across goal from a cross to the far post.

Steve Brennan’s side will feel a little unlucky not to have been in front before then.

In the first half Mark Rudd went close with a glancing header from a Lee Holmes free-kick, while Tom Bennett saw his shot on the turn deflected over the bar.

And Rossington went even closer in the second half when Shaun Pendleton’s 20-yard curler beat the keeper but not the post.

Maltby Main bounced back to winning ways in fine style following their midweek 2-0 defeat at Premier Division leaders Brighouse Town, with a superb 5-0 victory at Basford United who had started the day third in the table.

All the goals came in the opening 45 minutes to leave the home side with no way back.

Anthony Mackie gave the Miners a fifth minute lead squeezing in a shot from the edge of the box.

The lead was doubled six minutes later when a frantic goalmouth scramble finished with a defender turning the ball into his own-net.

Lee Jordon with a neat 20-yard chip extended the lead further with just 21 minutes gone.

Brian Cusworth with a superb 25-yard lob made it four just past the half hour mark before Jordan with his second and Maltby’s fifth five minutes before the break to complete a brilliant first half for Micky Norbury’s side.