NCEL: Struggling Askern Villa vow to battle on

ASKERN Villa held local rivals Rossington Main to a 1-1 draw after staving off fears that they might have to fold, writes Paul Webster

Villa were forced to pull out of the previous weekend’s Division One fixture against Albion Sports after being unable to raise a team.

However, following an emergency meeting, the club has vowed to carry on.

Both teams were looking to bounce back from midweek defeats with Rossington beaten 4-0 at Pontefract Collieries while Villa suffered a 5-2 home reversal at the hands of AFC Emley.

Askern had the better of the early chances and might well have been 2-0 up inside the first 10 minutes had it not been for some poor finishing.

However, the visitors did land the first telling blow on 43 when Mel Cotton glanced home a header from a left wing cross to put Askern in front.

But Rossington should have been back on level terms eight minutes after the interval when Dean Thornton was brought down in the area.

Jonathan Mirfin smacked the spot kick off the bar and to make matters worse, Thornton was dismissed after retaliating when fouled in the resulting scuffle.

But the ten-men hit back to equalise on 69 minutes.

Substitute Marcel Chipamunga saw his shot well saved but the ball fell to Nathan Fraser who scored with a neat chip in off the post.

Villa host Division One leaders Athlersley Recreation on Saturday while Rossington travel to fellow strugglers Hallam.

Armthorpe Welfare ended their six match run of defeat with a 4-0 midweek win over Arnold Town.

But they returned to losing ways at the weekend with a narrow 3-2 defeat at Glasshoughton Welfare.

A Joe Lumsden hat trick plus a Darren Mansaram strike gave Welfare the win at Arnold.

Leo Fortune-West’s side could not find back to back wins for the first time this season as they visited Glasshoughton.

James Beatson put the home side in front inside two minutes then doubled the tally on 19 minutes after a corner had been flicked on.

Armthorpe pulled on back just before the half hour mark when Callum Smith placed a superb 25-yard effort into the top corner.

Eight minutes before the interval Glasshoughton restored their two goal cushion after defensive mix-up allowed Beatson to complete his hat-trick.

Armthorpe were back in the game on 52 minutes. Paul Ashton’s free-kick was put back into the middle by Craig Morley where Mansaram tapped in from close range.

However, Morley saw red on 60 minutes for an alleged stamp after which Armthorpe never really looking like getting back on terms.

Welfare travel to Staveley Miners Welfare on Saturday.

Maltby Main suffered two bouts of late heartache last week with a 1-0 defeat to Pickering Town followed by a 2-1 loss at Brighouse Town with both winning goals coming in added time.

Craig Gladwin had given Maltby a 23rd minute lead direct from a free-kick at Brighouse.

Sam Foulds, Mike Cookson and Gladwin all wasted glorious chances to increase the lead.

And the Miners were made to pay when Ernest Boafa equalised on 75 minutes with Tom Matthews then grabbing the winner deep into stoppage time.

Main host defending champions Retford United on Saturday.