NCEL: Paul Webster’s weekend round-up

Northern Counties East Football League logo
Northern Counties East Football League logo

Rossington Main bounced back from three successive defeats in some style with a superb 1-0 win at promotion chasing Cleethorpes Town.

Town started the day second in Division One.

But the decisive goal came on 23 minutes when Lee Holmes planted a header across goal and inside the keepers’ far post from a Stuart Fielding free kick.

The goal came just minutes after the hosts had twice gone close to taking the lead, with Adam Stevens saving brilliantly from a close range header and Fielding hooking another header off the line.

Rossington’s man-of-the-match Stevens again came to his side’s rescue before the break with another point blank save at the near post.

Main remained a threat on the break and, after Fielding had gone close with a header, Holmes looked to have doubled the lead on 52 minutes only for the effort to be ruled out for offside.

Stevens had to make another fine stop but Cleethorpes resorted to long range efforts that never looked like troubling the resolute Main defence.

Armthorpe Welfare are without a win in six after being held to a 1-1 draw at home by managerless Glasshoughton Welfare.

The visitors parted company with manager Rob Hunter after their 2-0 defeat against Parkgate last weekend following a run of 10 defeats in 13 games.

It took Armthorpe until the 55th minute to break Glasshoughton’s stubborn resistance, Stuart Preston with a neat shot and turn across goal being turned in by Craig Aspinall.

Aspinall was inches away from doubling the advantage with a volley that rattled the crossbar.

Kieran Benson then got a toe to a through ball only for it to deflect off the keeper and roll inches wide of the post.

With two minutes remaining Glasshoughton snatched an equaliser out of nothing when Stuart Garner misjudged the bounce from a long ball over the top allowing Del Pollock to nip and lift a shot over keeper Will Biggs.

Maltby Main completed a league double over lowly Winterton Rangers but made hard work of a 2-1 victory.

The Miners went in front on five minutes when Sam Forster’s ball into the box steered home Callum Mackie.

Maltby continued to press and deservedly went 2-0 up on 34 minutes after a poor clearance fell at the feet of Lee Jordan 30-yards out, who lobbed the ball back over the keeper.

Rangers pulled one back just before the hour when Ben Dearing was given too much space in the box to rifle home, but the Miners hung on the make it three wins on the spin.