Local football: Villa’s poor run continues

ASKERN Villa slipped to a fifth straight defeat as promotion chasing Albion Sports left Manor Way with a 3-1 victory, WRITES PAUL WEBSTER.

Villa were left to ponder what might have been after they created several goalscoring opportunities against their high flying opponents.

Albion went into the game having won their last three away games, scoring 18 goals in the process.

But Brian Johnston’s side gave as good as they got for 20 minutes before being undone by two route-one goals in a matter of minutes.

With 25 minutes on the clock a long ball over the Villa defence was latchel onto by Aron Heywood who placed a shot wide of Liam Copley in the Villa goal.

Two minutes later an identical ball found Heywood running free behind the defence to slot past Copley and leave the home side with it all to do.

However, eight minutes before the break Villa got a foothold in the game.

A ball into the box caught Albion napping at the back and Tom McLaughlin nipped in to score from close range.

McLaughlin went close twice after the break and Villa had strong claims for a penalty waved away when Jay Rollins went down under a challenge in the box.

Villa’s fightback was ended on 75 minutes when the visitors grabbed a third to seal the points.

A free-kick just outside the box was only half headed clear and Heywood hit a first time effort past Copley to complete his hat trick.

Villa’s League Cup second round tie against AFC Emley, postponed in midweek, has been rearranged for Tuesday, January 10.

The winners will be at home to Premier Division Brighouse Town on the following Tuesday.

A late goal condemned ROSSINGTON MAIN to a narrow 2-1 defeat at Hemsworth Miners Welfare.

Main found themselves trailing to an Iwan Hanley-Heeley strike just past the half hour mark, before Jordan Hatton levelled matters with his eighth of the season on 66 minutes. Damion Liddle popped up five minutes from time to earn Hemsworth all three points.

ARMTHORPE WELFARE’s game at Nostell Miners Welfare was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

MALTBY MAIN were just three minutes away from completing a league double over fellow strugglers Pickering Town.

But a penalty awarded for handball and converted by Tom Adams left Maltby having to settle for a 1-1 draw.

The Miners had deservedly led on 32 minutes when Danny McKenzie set up Ben Langford to score with a neat finish inside the area.