Local football: FA Cup hopes over for Armthorpe, Rossington; Maltby progress

ARMTHORPE Welfare and Rossington Main’s hopes of an FA Cup run are over for another season, writes Paul Webster.

Leo Fortune-West’s Armthorpe lost 2-0 in their extra preliminary round tie at last season’s FA Vase winners Dunston on Saturday, while Rossington were beaten 4-2 at Atherton Laburnum Rovers.

Maltby Main, however, won their replay at home to Cheadle Town 1-0 last night after they were held to a 1-1 draw at the weekend.

Armthorpe picked up their first win of the season last Tuesday when a spectacular free-kick from Berivan Khaled and a stoppage time winner from Tom Hyde earned them a 2-1 win at Nostell MW.

But their FA Cup hopes were banished by Northern League side Dunston, who enjoyed the rub of the green to progress to the next round.

Paul Ashton hit the bar with a flicked header inside the first five minutes then saw another chance go agonisingly wide just after the break.

But it was Dunston that controversially made the breakthrough on 68 minutes.

Andy Bulford tapped into an empty net after Welfare keeper Neil May appeared to have been fouled in the build-up.

Bulford then settled the tie with his second seven minutes from time.

Rossington found themselves 3-0 down at Atherton Laburnum Rovers but the hosts had to surive a late fightback to progress.

David Holvey and Scott Maughan reduced the deficit after the break before a late free-kick ended Main’s hopes.

Main were also dumped out of the League Cup last week at Teversal where they suffered a 2-1 defeat.

Niall Doyle’s late goal gave them hope after they had trailed to a Dave Cockerill first half brace.

Michael Jones’ goal, meanwhile, looked like being enough to put Maltby Main into the next round.

But Cheadle snatched a dramatic late equaliser in the fifth minute of stoppage time through a Josh Taylor penalty.

The tables were turned on Wednesday night when Adam Houghton’s last minute penalty put Matlby through to the next round.

Askern Villa made a triumphant return to Manse Lane to put their first points on the board with an excellent 1-0 win over league newcomers Knaresborough Town - just days after a 6-0 defeat to Town in the League Cup.

Luke Durham got the only goal of the game.