Football: Main Men take derby honours

Maltby celebrate their first goal scored by Brian Cusworth
Maltby celebrate their first goal scored by Brian Cusworth

Maltby Main completed the double over neighbours Parkgate with a 2-1 win at Muglet Lane - the first of three successive derby games for the Miners.

The home side were forced to come from behind to seal the win, after falling behind to Scott Whittington’s early strike.

Former Parkgate man Brian Cusworth got the Miners back on level terms, before Danny Reilly’s late winner secured the bragging rights.

Craig Gladwin had a penalty saved by Steelmen goalkeeper Richard Watson on the stroke of half time.

The victory came as a timely boost for Main, who are still reeling from news that they will be docked 12 points for fielding an ineligible player in October.

George Conway, who played in victories over Garforth Town, Parkgate, Winterton Rangers and Basford United, was later found to still be under contract at Workington.

Main goalkeeper Jamie Bailey had to be alert to deny Whittington after just ten seconds, and Rob Branagan came close to giving Main the lead with a volley that flew just over the bar.

But it was the visitors who went ahead on 22 minutes. A cross from full back Ben Langford caused havoc in the Main box, and the ball was eventually scrambled home by Whittington.

Bailey then came to his side’s rescue once more, touching Oliver Graham’s thunderous shot onto the woodwork. And that saved looked all the more important two minutes later, when Gladwin’s fantastic cross was met by the experienced Cusworth.

He made no mistake, and the two sides were back on level terms.

The hosts were then handed the chance to complete the turnaround before half time, when Piers Bond shoved a Main player in the box and referee Gavin Hock had no hesitation in punishing his moment of madness.

But Gladwin saw his effort saved by Watson.

The second half began in a similar manner to the first, and Maltby were unlucky not to forge ahead four minutes into the half when Nathan Lovell saw his header bounce back off the woodwork.

They then did get the ball in the net with ten minutes left to play, but  Hock blew for offside.

But the inevitable winning goal did come with time running out, from another Gladwin cross. This time it was from a free-kick, and Reilly chested the ball home to seal all three points for Mick Norbury’s charges.

Norbury has moved to strengthen his back-up staff, after appointing Martin Barnsfield as his new assistant manager.

Lee Snodin becomes the club’s head coach, with Wilf Race as director of football.

n Maltby Main: Bailey, Mitchell, Redfern, Darker, Reilly, Hickey, Brannagan, Lovell, Cusworth, Fearon, Gladwin. Subs: Tate, Cuckson, Forster, Finney.

n Parkgate: Watson, Langford, Bond, Wragg, Wesley (capt), Lowe, Dawson, Abdulla, Foltyn-Brown, Graham, Whittington. Subs: Houghton, Morley, Emson, Hibbert, Parrott.