Football: Denaby derby finishes all square

Ainsley Finney. Picture: Andrew Roe
Ainsley Finney. Picture: Andrew Roe

The first Denaby Derby since the two sides switched to the County Senior League ended in a 2-2 draw last weekend.

Main thought they had taken the lead early on when a corner was headed home, only for the referee to rule that there had been a push, and the goal was disallowed.

Chris Hancock.

Chris Hancock.

The match continued at a frantic pace and the end to end action was halted only by some tough tackling, before United had their first big opening,

Adam Winfield slid a pass across the face of the goal but nobody was able to get there in time to slot home, and Denaby broke quickly with Dan Phillips foiled by Ben Priestley.

The second half continued with chances galore, and both sides had chances before Ainsley Finney sent a curling shot over the outstretched keeper to give United the lead.

Main were not behind for long though as a couple of minutes later they levelled matters with a superb header from Chris Hancock, Arron Rumble sent in a teasing cross and Hancock rose highest to send a looping header over keeper Priestley.

At this stage Denaby Main began to get the upper hand, a Phillips header just went over the bar and a Tom Needham effort flashed wide.

At the other end Ben Parker and Liam Winfield interchanged passes before Winfield played in Ellor who was forced wide before shooting from a tight angle.

On 76 minutes the visiting players and supporters went wild when Main took the lead, Ryan Scott was cautioned for bringing down Tom Needham in full flight towards goal and from the free kick ex-Reds player Ryan Oakley sent the free kick low around the wall and past the keeper to put the visitors in front.

Main continued to have the better of the chances late on and thought they had sealed it when Aaron Rumble had the ball in the net, only to see the linesman flagging for offside.

United weren’t done, and after a good move and several interchanging passes, it came to Steve Ellor who moved towards goal and toe poked the ball under the body of the outcoming Main keeper Craig Pears to level the match and send both teams away with a point apiece.