Rovers: Late Leeds double is cup ko

Rob Jones heads clear of Matt Smith in the Keepmoat cup clash
Rob Jones heads clear of Matt Smith in the Keepmoat cup clash

A late double from Leeds United saw Doncaster Rovers crash out of the Capital One cup as Paul Dickov’s men suffered a 3-1 defeat.

Scott Wootton had a dream debut for the visitors, the ex-Manchester United defender heading in the opener in the 41st minute.

Rovers were back in the tie when substitute Billy Paynter fired in from close range two minutes after coming on.

However, goals from the dangerous Matt Smith and a penalty from Ross McCormack settled the tie for Brian McDermott’s outfit.

Rovers could have had an early lead when two solid chances fell at the feet of Richie Wellens, who saw his effort cleared off the line, and striker Chris Brown but he blazed over.

A tame Wellens drilled effort through a crowed Leeds box was then gathered by Paddy Kenny as the hosts looked to be carving out the better of the chances.

Leeds pressed and a searching ball from Michael Tonge found Matt Smith in the area but he failed to get any purchase on his header as Turnbull collected.

The busy Ross McCormawas unmarked on the edge of the box and collected a weak punch from Turnbull, but fired over.

Leeds were lucky to be numerically sound when Jason Pearce’s late tackle on James Coppinger saw the defender escape with a booking.

Leeds failed to pick up Coppinger whose header across Kenny’s left side brought out a strong save from the ex-Blade after the playmaker connected with a James Husband delivery.

Wootton then opened the scoring as he guided a Smith header past the fingertips of Turnbull into the roof of the net in the 41st minute.

Theo Robinson had the chance to level, but skewed his effort.

Leeds began the second half as they ended the first - a determined run from Dominic Poleon in the 59th minute saw him surge to the byline but the effort was deflected wide.

Rovers equalised in the 62nd minute when Paynter guided a header past the sprawling Kenny from a left-footed David Cotterill delivery.

Smith reacted quickest to a blocked McCormack effort to swivel past his man and connect with a volley on the turn which Turnbull did well to gather low as Brown could not keep his curled effort down at the other end.

Smith got his rewards for a dangerous display as he fired Leeds in front - heading home from close range from a Lee Peltier cross from the right in the 77th minute. Leeds wrapped up the tie from the penalty spot after Reece Wabara brought down Poleon in the area. McCormack nestled his spot-kick into the bottom right with 10 minutes to spare.

Harry Forrester made his Rovers debut with seven minutes left ut could do little about the scoreline.

Rovers: Turnbull, Husband, Furman (Forrester 84), Jones, Brown, Cotterill, Khumalo, Wellens, Robinson (Paynter 60), Coppinger (Duffy 45), Wabara. Subs not used: Maxted, Quinn, Syers, McCullough.

Leeds United: Kenny, Peltier, Drury, Pearce, Austin, Tonge, Matt Smith, Wootton, Poleon, Mowatt (Murphy 74), McCormack. Subs not used: Hunt, Ashdown, White, Brown, Diouf, Hall.

Scorers: Paynter (Rovers) 62 mins; Wootton 41, Smith 77, McCormack, pen, 80, for Leeds.

Attendance: 10,890

Referee: Scott Mathieson (Cheshire).

Yellow cards: Brown (Rovers); Pearce (Leeds).

Red cards: None