Report: Doncaster Rovers 1 Leeds United 1 (Rovers win 4-2 on penalties)

Richie Wellens  scores the winning penalty against  Leeds
Richie Wellens scores the winning penalty against Leeds

Rovers needed penalties to see off ten man Leeds on an exciting cup night at the Keepmoat.

Richie Wellens stroked home the winning spot kick after Sam Byram and Chris Wood blazed their kicks over the bar.

Doncaster's  Andy Williams goes close with his shot

Doncaster's Andy Williams goes close with his shot

Nathan Tyson, Andy Williams and Harry Forrester also held their nerve from the spot after some less than impressive finishing from Doncaster sent the tie into extra time. Doncaster’s success was their first triumph over Leeds United since moving to the Keepmoat.

Lewis Cook had put Leeds ahead from the first real chance of the game but was sent off later in the first half for a reckless two-footed tackle on Aaron on Taylor-Sinclair. His dismissal saw the visitors play for almost three quarters of the contest with 10 men and Doncaster should have wrapped up the tie long before the shoot-out. Williams had earlier opened his Doncaster account from the penalty spot to level but Rovers failed to make their numerical advantage count as chance after chance went begging.

Rovers made two changes from the side that drew with Bury, with Harry Middleton and Cedric Evina coming into a five-man midfield for Richard Chaplow and Curtis Main.

Neither side were able to wrestle the initiative during a frenetic start but from the first attempt of any note by either side Leeds found themselves ahead.

Doncaster's  Andy Williams goes close with his header

Doncaster's Andy Williams goes close with his header

Antenucci outpaced Rob Jones before his shot was parried by Thorsten Stuckmann straight into the path of Cook who tapped home.

Doncaster almost levelled when a defensive mix-up allowed James Coppinger to nip in and lob former Rovers goalkeeper Ross Turnbull but Giuseppe Bellusci did well to hook his goal-bound effort from underneath the bar.

Rovers had played some nice football in tight areas but the visitors had more control. However, the home side were gifted a route back into the game on the half hour when Scott Wootton upended Evina in the box and Williams slotted home the penalty.

The lively Williams then immediately tested Turnbull from the edge of the area as Rovers threatened to turn the game on its head – before they were handed the initiative by an ugly bit of indiscipline by Cook, whose dangerous two-footed tackle on Taylor-Sinclair deservedly resulted in a red card.

Doncaster almost went ahead before the break when Evina clipped in a low cross for Coppinger who poked his close range shot just wide of the post.

Rovers started and finished the second half strongly with the 10 men of Leeds happy to get behind the ball.

Williams clipped a deflected effort just wide, Harry Forrester drifted in from the right but fluffed his shot, before Coppinger powered an effort just over from distance.

Some excellent build-up play then saw Williams swivel in the box but his shot was clawed away by Turnbull.

Leeds had crept back into the game prior to Nathan Tyson’s introduction for the last 20 minutes. He nearly arrived in style, slaloming superbly into the box before being stopped in his tracks by a last ditch tackle.

Tyson and Williams then somehow failed to get anything on a delicious Coppinger cross before the pair both wasted good chances at death, Williams heading wide from Middleton’s cross and then Tyson forcing Turnbull into another good save from close range.

Rovers failed to carry their momentum into extra time as Leeds enjoyed the better of the first period, Stuckmann saving well from substitute Byram and keeping out Antenucci’s deflected shot.

Forrester headed the best chance of a poor second period over the bar – before Rovers held their nerve in front of the South Stand and won 4-2 on penalties.

Rovers: Stuckmann, McCullough, Butler, Jones, Taylor-Sinclair, Coppinger, Wellens, Middleton (Main 101), Evina (Tyson 72), Forrester, Williams. Subs not used: Marosi, Lund, MacKenzie, P McKay, Whitehouse.

Leeds: Turnbull, Berardi, Bellusci, Cooper, Taylor, Wootton, Cook, Mowatt (Byram 75), Doukara (Murphy 67), Dallas (Wood 67), Antenucci. Subs not used: Silvestri, Bamba, Erwin, Phillips.

attendance 8,361

referee: Keith Hill