Match report: Wigan Athletic 0 Doncaster Rovers 0

Gary MacKenzie rises to head the ball from a corner
Gary MacKenzie rises to head the ball from a corner

Rovers were left to rue a raft of missed chances as they battled out a goalless draw with hot promotion tip Wigan Athletic.

Andy Williams and Harry Forrester were both guilty of missing excellent chances as Rovers largely controlled proceedings at the DW Stadium.

Andy Williams leaves Wigan's Reece James on his backside

Andy Williams leaves Wigan's Reece James on his backside

They pressed superbly from the start and also produced the biggest threat but could not capitalise and would only leave with a share of the spoils.

Rovers really should have been ahead after just two minutes. Andy Williams capitalised on confusion between Wigan keeper Richard O'Donnell and his defence to latch onto a loose ball before cutting back to Harry Forrester who prodded wide from ten yards.

Wigan were almost gifted the lead with a calamatous moment on 11 minutes. Reece James sneaked a cross past Forrester with Andy Butler looking to side-foot clear only to scuff the ball straight into the hands of the fortuitiously-placed Thorsten Stuckmann.

Michael Jacobs hit the bar with a free kick from 20 yards after a late challenge from Rovers debutant Gary MacKenzie.

Williams and MacKenzie with both caught a little flat-footed from a superb delivery by Aaron Taylor-Sinclair which flashed across the face of goal.

Williams had a glorious opportunity to give Rovers the lead on the half hour. Coppinger's superb through ball took him in clear but a poor second first touch allowed O'Donnell to race out and easily block Williams' shot.

It sparked a good period of pressure for Rovers with several corners. And they were denied from one by a stunning reaction save from O'Donnell. MacKenzie cut a pass back to Forrester who struck first time with O'Donnell acrobatically tipping the ball over the bar.

Rovers had the edge but Wigan forged some dangerous attacks, particularly through full back Reece James on the left. He beat Luke McCullough and crossed where Max Power side-footed first time, forcing a fine save Stuckmann.

There were two big penalty shouts for Rovers in quick succession when Coppinger was blocked off by James and Williams was clattered aiming to meet a cross.

Rovers emerged for the second half in much the same manner as they played the first and dominated the ball, forcing Wigan into an early double substitution.

MacKenzie hit the bar with a looping header from a corner as Rovers continued to push.

There was a definite sense Rovers could be made to rue their missed chances but Wigan did not look particularly capable of doing so.

Jacobs was given the freedom of the DW Stadium to charge from midfield and cut across the face of the box, but hooked a shot wide from 15 yards.

Rovers dipped as the game wore on with Wigan looking the more energetic.

Max Power drew a simple save from Stuckmann after firing low from 20 yards.

But Rovers came again and went close when MacKenzie headed back from a corner with substitute Curtis Main unable to capitalise.

Wigan had a big shout for a penalty when Power was felled by Andy Butler but Webb said no.

Wigan: O'Donnell, Kenny, Morgan, Barnett, James, Perkins, Power, Junior (Coulthirst 54), McCann (Murray 54), Jacobs, Grigg

Subs not used: Jaaskelainen, Daniels, Davies, Flores, McNaughton.

Rovers: Stuckmann, McCullough, Butler, MacKenzie, Taylor-Sinclair, Evina, Wellens, Middleton, Forrester, Coppinger, Williams (Main 79).

Subs not used: Marosi, Lund, McKay, Jones, Mandeville, Whitehouse.

Referee: David Webb (Lancashire)

Attendance: 8,813 (924)