Match Report: Doncaster Rovers 0 Burnley 2

Doncaster's Federico Macheda tries to get past Burnley's Jason Shackell and Kieran Trippier.''Picture: Andrew Roe/AHPIX LTD
Doncaster's Federico Macheda tries to get past Burnley's Jason Shackell and Kieran Trippier.''Picture: Andrew Roe/AHPIX LTD

Doncaster Rovers were guilty of not taking their chances as two Burnley goals in either half downed Paul Dickov’s men, capping off a torrid evening for skipper Rob Jones.

The hosts looked the better of the teams in the opening exchanges as Federico Macheda brought out a good block from the feet of Tom Heaton at his near post.

Burnley offered little in the opening ten minutes as Rovers pressed the visitors high up the pitch and reduced them to hopeful balls into box with Ross Turnbull never really tested.

Burnley’s first real chance came when David Edgar got his head onto a lofted ball, however, the defender failed to get the desired purchase as Turnbull gathered comfortably.

Ben Mee then tried his luck from all of 30 yards in the 22nd minute after pouncing on a Jones clearance, however, the effort was always rising.

A superb whipped in delivery from the left boot of James Husband saw Heaton grasp the ball away from the advancing Chris Brown as Rovers looked the more threatening in the opening half hour.

Boos from the travelling Clarets faithful echoed around the Keepmoat as Macheda was given a caution following a challenge on left-back Mee deep into the Burnley half.

Coppinger was next to go into the book for Rovers after launching himself at the ball alongside Kieran Trippier who fell to the floor clutching his face - a reaction which brought the Doncaster fans to their feet as Coppinger was yellow carded. Trippier later sent in a glorious delivery into the feet of Sam Vokes, but the forward’s connection went the wrong side of Turnbull’s left-hand post with 37 minutes gone.

Wellens then collected the ball in the centre of the park and released Coppinger down the left as he skipped inside his marker and fired a low drive down the throat of Heaton.

On the stroke of half time, a counter from Burnley led to the visitors going ahead. A Jones mis-timed challenge on Vokes sent the striker crashing down in the area, giving East the simplest of tasks as he pointed to the spot.

Vokes stepped up and coolly slotted the penalty into the bottom corner for 1-0, wrong-footing Turnbull who was sent diving to his left.

Burnley nearly doubled their advantage minutes after the restart when a cross was deflected inches past the post, however, the visitors could not make the resulting corner count.

Kightly then gifted Ings a superb opportunity as he flashed a drive across the box with Turnbull beaten. However, the combined efforts of Quinn and Jones saw Rovers clear from the goalline and nicking it from the toes of Ings with 20 minutes of the game remaining.

Jones later had a header sail over the bar from Coppinger’s corner as Turnbull denied Scott Arfield from close range late on.

However, Burnley made sure of the points when a drilled Trippier cross came off Jones from close range in the 88th minute. Turnbull denied two further chances as the visitors clinched all three points.